Asmi linux

Discussion on Linux distributions
chris

Asmi linux

Post by chris »

wove

Re: Asmi linux

Post by wove »

I like The Register. They along with Ars Technica have outstanding tech articles that are useful enjoyable reads. I had not heard of Asmi Linux or its predecessor Zinc before that mention. I find it amusing that Ubuntu has joined Microsoft in the realm of punching bag OSes. Perhaps since Ubuntu spawns so much drama, they might consider a future in theater. :)
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Will give it a look. The Register have some good articles but they also have had their issues with really poor journalism, that got them into quite a bit of hot water in the past.
Site Moderator
bin

Post by bin »

I normally read The Reg every day, but missed it on Wednesday and Thursday - so I didn't see this article.

TeeJee has been around a while and done a lot of interesting stuff - so I'm more than happy to take a look at this.

Trimmed Ubuntu without Snaps and Flatpaks and other bloat. Seems like we're back in the late 2000's :D :D
Downloading............
chris

Post by chris »

Bin: try the Register RSS feed: https://www.theregister.com/headlines.atom
bin

Post by bin »

OK, so had a read on The Reg, downloaded and installed in qemu-kvm VM - full version.

I am amazed at just how much is crammed into this spin.
Full Libreoffice 24.2, GIMP, Inkscape, Shotwell, Vokoscreen, VLC, Geany, even got Cherrytree AND Color Picker!!! yay!!! to name but a few and a well populated Accessory list. OK I may want to swap out some of his choices for ones I prefer, but that aside this is not a cut down set in any way.

Single 10gb partition with just sda1 with Firefox and Chrome installed and post install /home it now shows as 7gb used. For anything based on Ubuntu that is seriously good - no it's unheard of since the days of 14.04.

TeeJee has also added a couple of tools of his own for tweaking the appearance a bit, but it responds to normal XFCE settings as expected.

The best of this tool set however is a simple set of radio buttons that allow you to banish Snaps and Flatpaks to the nether reaches of hell where they belong. FF and Chrome both install direct via debs.

Could I make this my dally driver? I don't know. Ubuntu may be able to bring some goodies to the party, but on all my hardware - 2019 or older - I don't think so. Am I worried about the latest and greatest software?? Not normally. However as an LTS it may well find its way on to my wife's laptop.
wove

Post by wove »

I downloaded the minimal iso and gave it a spin on my 2010 MBP. I am very impressed with how quick and fast this distro runs from a USB. I believe you could install this to a USB thumb drive and have a perfectly functional portable system. I personally find XFCE to be intimidating and knowing nothing about it I am clueless as to where to get started taming it to my liking.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I dont have any issues with Flatpak overall, but I do prefer installing from the repos. Snap needs to go away and I wish Flatpak would become the go to choice. XFCE is easy to get use to, and I used it quite a bit with Xubuntu, Linux Lite and MX Linux but KDE offers a better experience overall.
Site Moderator