What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by crosscourt »

I got another E5440 off of Ebay in mint condition for cheap $90. It came last night but when I opened the box it wasnt a E5440. Instead it was a E5470 with 6th gen 3ghz cpu, 8gb ram and a 240gb ssd. Display quality is amazing and the unit is in mint condition. I dont know if it was a mistake or the fact they didnt have the E5440 and gave me the closest thing they had to it. On Ebay E5470s go for far more than E5440s. Will add another 8gb of ram and a 512gb Nvme.m.2 2280 ssd. Both the order, emails and even packing slip showed E5440. Its the first time Ive ever had this happen as typically you get screwed at times rather than get upgrades.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I've never had it happen in my favor that good. I did one time order a E5450 and got a E7450 because they were out of 5450's, but that's the best that I've ever been auto-upgraded for a pc.
wove

Post by wove »

I bought an iPad for my wife on eBay. I ordered the base model with 64GB os storage and received a 128GB model. I messaged the seller telling them I received the upgrade model and asked if they wished me to return it for the item I had ordered. They responded that they sent the 128GB model because they were out of the 64GB model. They said I could either keep the model I received or I could return it for a refund. I thanked them and kept the upgraded model.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Dont intend to contact them as its their decision as to what to ship and I paid for the item up front. Its very rare when Ive gotten something I didnt order with Ebay.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just switched the Dell 5470 over to AHCI as Dell had it set for Raid. Waiting for the NVme drive to come so I can clone it. I got the WD SN570 this time around as its the same price as the SN550 but with better performance.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, the SN570 is an impressive drive for the price.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Wish I had gotten the SN570 for my Alienware but at that time the prices werent as good as they are versus the sn550.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

The SN550 is still a fantastically consistent drive. I have one (in all but name, it's sticker says "SanDisk NVMe Ultra, but it's literally just a different sticker that's different between it and the SN550) in the desktop working as...my /home drive (I may have too many drives on that thing, 4 SSD's in there, 3 of which are linux).
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Back on my K14 for now. Got the T14s G3A all set up, reinstalled the T14 G2A with Debian, so moved over to the K14 to get some use in with OpenSUSE. Still very impressed with this hardware overall. The LCD I would like to at some point get an upgrade for it, but otherwise, this is an absolutely awesome laptop.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

My 16gb of ram and my sn570 drive just arrived but wont be able to get to it more than likely till next weekend.
Site Moderator