What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
wove

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by wove »

The drive I ordered will not ship until after the Chinese New Year. So mid-Fedurary is probably a good delivery estimate. I am kind of jealous the Chinese get a week off for New Year and here in the US besides government, Post Office and banks folks generally do not even get national holidays off. I am also a bit peeved that they charged me for the product they have not yet sent my way.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

As long as you use a credit card wove they cant get away with anything and most orders like this the charge to your card remains in the processing stage till it actually ships.

Interesting as some distros still have issues with the Dell E series pro laptop docks. The issues vary with the distro and it doesnt seem to matter whether its a newer or older kernel. Overall the Dell dock does very well and allows older users like me to use their laptops with larger monitors.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I bought a regualar Team Group SSD, the silver one with the green lettering. It has been an excellent drive, I do not know the bench marks on it, but it has seemed very peppy at moving large amounts of data around. So I did not think much about it when I bought a Team Group Vulcan Z, a black drive with a lightening(?) bolt. That drive is a dog of a drive. It is slow, very slow. Moving large files on it takes a very long time. So I ran crystal diskmark on it. Well the write speeds are ~10MB/s. My god an internal SSD, that is slower than a USB 2 thumb drive. I am thinking it might make work OK for NextCloud storage. My network presents a speed bottle neck so the slow speed of the storage device would not be as noticeable.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The Team Group with green lettering is the CX2 classic which is a good drive I own many of them. I also own the Vulcan and it performs about the same as the CX2 classic so there must be something wrong with your drive or its a counterfeit drive, The best performer for me with Team Group is the EX2 but given they are all Sata 3 they wont exceed 5550mbs regardless and youll be limited by the type of hardware you run it in.
Id send the Vulcan drive back and maybe get another CX2 if possible. My CX2 runs around 560mb read/501mb write, Vulcan 530mb read/499mb write on a 4th gen Intel laptop.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

An HP 15t-dy100 off for me to replace the battery. It is a nice looking machine. 10gen 17 with 16GB of RAM and NVME drive. I have not powered it on, because there is no need to start it up to replace the battery. It has a 15.6" screen and is very similar to the Lenovo T580, right down to a numeric keypad and an off set track pad.

While it is a nice looking unit, it is a very plasiticy build. It does not seem to be of a very good build quality. There are several screws on the bottom, but it is mostly held together with plastic clips. If you pick it up by a corner with the lid open the clips in the opposite corner will pop loose. That is actually helpful if you are working on the insides, but would probably be annoying in use.

He said he had had it for two years and the battery was dead. I suppose it is a function of use, but I would expect a battery to last longer than two years. I ordered a new battery for it, which should arrive on Saturday. A pretty quick fix really.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

It should last longer than 2 years but who knows what habits the user had and whether he allowed it to discharge fully in its early life to allow for a longer life. Could be the battery overheated or bulged as well.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Continuing to have bios issues with the Lenovo M700s. Ive been looking around for a newer bios but so far no luck, The present bios is from 2021 so its not real old but has some bugs.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Back to my Dell Optiplex 7010 systems for everyday use. My mid towers I use for older gaming, the SFFs I use for Linux and Windows and the USFFs are going to be tv boxes for internet content access.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Got twp Dell Optiplex 7010 DT models with i4 3450, 16gbpf ram and 240gb ssd, running both Win10 and Zorin.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I was finally able to get my 2tb nvme drive back into my gaming system. Added an additional fan to help keep it cool and it seems to be doing fine.
Site Moderator