What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by tlmiller »

I did Paypal Credit. I actually have $6,000 line of credit with Paypal. Which I generally keep at a massive $0 balance. And any purchase over a certain point qualifies for 6 months 0% interest as long as you have it paid off in that time. It's actually a pretty decent "credit card". But I decided to use that to get it. I didn't have the money on me at this moment after paying for the repairs to my Mustang.
wove

Post by wove »

I have used PayPal Credit a couple times. It can be very handy. Being retired not only is income pretty much fixed, but it is often a good while between times it arrives so the 12 months at zero interest (as long as you play by their rules) can be very handy to use for items you are need and special pricing that can pop up.

I can not justify spending that much for a laptop, but I must say that when I look at laptops that intrigue me they do always tend to be that price. And most of the old laptops I purchase used were about that price when new.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thats the beauty of buying laptops behind the curve used. You get excellent tech at much lower costs that can still do the job.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, but finding exactly the build you want (when dealing with machines that have soldered something) can be hard, and getting a Thinkpad with one of the decent LCD's is insanely hard too (since they still default to barely tolerabe LCD's.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im not quite as picky as you are in regards to displays but with so many buying sites and liquidators its pretty easy to find what you want. Ill get to use the same laptop you bought but it will be much farther down the road.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, I'm super picky in displays. That's the single piece of hardware I'm the MOST picky about when it comes to laptop systems.
wove

Post by wove »

I am very fond of premium displays. The quality of the display never makes it to a place of prominence in most sales literature, and when buying used hardware, usually nothing but the resolution is mentioned. But you are going to be looking at that display for hours on end and so it seems it should be a very important consideration. Input/output devices are rarely mentioned with used devices, yet overall I find the satisfaction with using a device depends far more on the quality of input/output than on cores, RAM or storage.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

wove wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:59 pm I am very fond of premium displays. The quality of the display never makes it to a place of prominence in most sales literature, and when buying used hardware, usually nothing but the resolution is mentioned. But you are going to be looking at that display for hours on end and so it seems it should be a very important consideration. Input/output devices are rarely mentioned with used devices, yet overall I find the satisfaction with using a device depends far more on the quality of input/output than on cores, RAM or storage.
100% in agreement.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Everyone wants premium displays but it comes down to how much do want to spend to get that display. My point is Im ok with a middle of the pack display if I dont have to spend thousands for a laptop or dedicated monitor with a premium display. My gaming monitor is a middle of the road Dell 24in display but the games look great and I got it for $100 new. If Im buying used though and can pick up a premium display for cheap, you bet Ill go that route.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

In reality, you don't have to spend much. Chuwi made it into the mainstream by providing "good enough" hardware on a premium display for <$400. Now they have systems that run the full spectrum like a major OEM, from $300 to $1200.