What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by crosscourt »

Im back on my Dell Latitude E6440 laptops, using a Dell Eport Pro3x docking station. Im able to access the hard drives externally and pull them very easily for testing purposes. Really love this type of laptop with the external hard drive, battery and dvd-rw drive with a huge number of ports. Illuminated keyboard, 1920x1080 screen, excellent wifi, 16gb ram and excellent cooling. These will be used for distro testing, as well as for other things when I need to be a bit more mobile.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

One of the e6449s I purchased had some issues and is going back as it shipped and wouldnt boot. Replacement should be here on Wednesday.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Replacement came and its in great shape and working fine. I should be up and running by next week and will hopefully begin some distro testing.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Test rig is up and running and Im in the process of installing some distros such as Kubuntu 23.10 for testing.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just put my Dell 7470 and 5470 laptops back on Win10 and running my Dell e6440 laptops on Linux both as test rigs and everyday use systems.
Site Moderator
chris

Post by chris »

Tom's Hardware has this article: Ubuntu runs 20% faster than Windows 11 on AMD's new 96-core Ryzen Threadripper Pro 7995WX, demonstrating once more that Linux loves high core count CPUs
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ubunt ... pro-7995wx
wove

Post by wove »

Wow 96 core. I did not find that specific processor, but the 5995WX with only 64 cores is available for $5400 from BH Photo. I wonder what the use case for such a beast is certainly nothing I do would even get that processor to go beyond idle speeds. I suppose I could just run full throttle bench marks, and use it to heat the house, or if it was water cooled, I could use it to heat water for a shower.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Chris, feel free to post your topic in a separate thread in this forum as it would be of interest to others.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive been updating a lot of my systems such as the HP mini pcs, Lenovo mini pcs, Dell Optiplex usff/sff, as well as laptops and gaming desktops. They run a mix of Linux and Win10/11 so I dont try to update everything all the time. Some systems wait longer before I finally update them.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Nvme drives can be a bit of an issue at times. Sometimes the location of the drive causes temp issues that arent that easy to correct. Some bios such as with my Dell XPS 8940 cut the performance in half so theres not much point in using it. Im hoping they will offer a new bios( the fix is to set the bios to defaults not factory defaults, but the setting for some reason doesnt hold). Then the issues with trying to clone the drives is a mixed bag depending on your system. I ended up using Sata ssds with the Dell 8940 as they are more stable, stay cooler away from the hardware in their enclosure, and perform very well with no issues with cloning. This will be my wifes system and being able to run two or three Sata drives for storage will be great.
Site Moderator