What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by tlmiller »

I'd like all my games to work as eventually Win10 will go away, and I won't have an option to play on Windows, unless M$ fixes Windows 11 so that it's usable.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Almost all my Windows gaming occurs on Win11 and I havent had any issues. In fact with some games added features and better performance have occured. There are so many added features, mods and tweaks you can use in Windows versions which I really like and expect. I go where I can get the best experience and play the games I want to play, thats all that matters.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Problem is I can't log into Windows 11. It now REQUIRES you to set up an initial account that's linked to MS. But it doesn't give you access to a browser. I don't know my account password, it's stored in my password manager, I know my password to the password manager. So to login to MS, I REQUIRE a browser. There's no chance I could memorize it, it's 30 digits completely truly complex & randomly generated.
wove

Post by wove »

There just seems to be no will among the various tech giants to create a universal simple to use method to get around this problem. I bought a Yubi key back in the day, thinking 2fa would become the way to go and the Yubi key was about as easy to use as you would ever get. Create a strange but memorable pass phrase (EatingPurpleCabbageMakesOneSterile) for the password and use the Yubi to finish the 2fa. Google supports it and I have used it successfully and securely(?) with Google for years. But they are about the only ones that use it.

So for other things I use a generator to create ~20 characters of unmemorable gibberish and then as @tlmiller rely on a password manager to keep track of them. That does work well, but it is indeed can be a big stumbling block when setting up a new system. For a long while setting up online accounts was something I do very soon after installing a new OS to try out, but recently setting up online accounts has moved to about the last thing. And with my fussiness many distros end up being wiped before I bother connecting them to my network.

It seems to me that a lot of this mess could be tied into the credit card api system. No matter where I go a swipe, insert a card with a chip or a tap with NFC used in conjunction with a pin identifies well enough to take my money, so it seems to me it could easily be used to identify me to my computer.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Didnt realize you had that issue as I avoided using a password manager just for that reason. Ive had my MS account since my early Xbox days and converted it for use with Win10/11.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I've had issues with compromised passwords before, and it's a hassle if I use only 1 or 2 passwords for everything and then someone gets compromised so I have to go through and change the password at like 30 sites. Easier to have each be unique and far stronger than I would use if I were setting it manually (although I do generally tend to use 15+ character passwords), and just remember 2-3 passwords. 1 to get into my system, 1 to my password manager. It's a workflow that works well, and has shown itself to be far more secure than I'd otherwise use. So I won't change the workflow, and if M$ doesn't work with it, then there's no room for them in my workflow. Which means no Windows 11 at all anymore.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I have my Outlook account(linked to MS account) which has one password then all my various MS OS installs have separate pins. Thats how its been for quite some time. Not using Windows isnt an option for me so I do what I can.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I achieved biss on the 2008 MBP today. Mint was simply not going to be a long term solution. I installed Fedora Kinoite which had much that was nice, but kwin and/or plasma kept crashing. I wondered if the plain KDE fedora spin would be better. At the end of the live boot, it popped up a message saying, "On this hardware wayland will cause kwin/plasma to crash frequently. You will need to edit the configuration to use x11." Could it be that easy? Did the installer for one OS actually provide the solution to fix another OS?

It turns out it was that easy and yes that was the solution. I booted back in Kinoite edited the /etc/kwinrc.conf to enable x11. I rebooted selected an x11 session and it is preforming flawlessly. I had to enable rpmfusion and the use rpm-ostree install kmod-wl to get the Broadcom wifi working as well. I am on plasma 5.25.5 and all is well. I am going to stick with this for a while assuming the upgrade to Fedora 37 does not break anything.

The only real downside to the hardware is that it is long in the tooth are really at the cusp of having too few resources, but for a knock about machine it is very nice.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive had that issue with older hardware but I typically never used Wayland and prefer X11 depending on the instance.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, I keep trying Wayland, but keep finding it's just not "there" yet. Lots of little issues, and each laptop has a different issue with Wayland, but ultimately, none of my devices run acceptably well with Wayland, regardless of OS, as I've tested on Debian, Arch, OpenSUSE and KDE Neon. So I keep sticking to X11.