What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:58 pm My 16gb of ram and my sn570 drive just arrived but wont be able to get to it more than likely till next weekend.
My boss from my old job has been texting me recently. He bought a Latitude 7420 and wanted to upgrade the drive, but didn't know what to buy. Ultimately he ended up going SN570 2TB. Once I told him PCIe 4.0 won't help (7420 is still 3.0 only) performance, he was looking at the Samsung 980 or the SN570. Went with the 570 since you can get 2TB while the 980 only has 1TB as it's largest option currently.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive got two 7420s both with sn550 512gb nvme drives. Very nice laptop as my wife use of them along with her 7370.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I went with the 5420 for cost reasons. HE said he payed $1100 out the door for the 7420, since being soldered only ram, he had to pay the Dell upgrades for 32GB. The 5420 still has 2 DIMM's, so ordered it with 8GB ram, bought 32GB for $100, and upgraded myself. Yeah, it's not as light, as well built, as pretty. But mine cost me ~$500 for essentially the same specs as his for $1100. Worth it.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

My bad as Ive actually got two 7270s not 7420s.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Finally got the HP 800 G3 Elitedesk mini-pcs running again. The bios issues were a problem but they are running very well. Ive got Zorin on one of them
and win10 on the other two. They all have 512gb m.2 2280 NVme drives, 16gb of ram and 6th gen i5 intel cpus.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I'm on the L14 tonight. WOW, this thing feels SOOOOOOOO big and heavy after having been using the K14 and the T14s G3A recently. It's more than double the weight of those 2 laptops, I do believe. But it still performs amazingly well, given it's 2 generations old at this point, and was only a mid-level laptop to begin with.
Also discovered that wobbly windows doesn't work on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed right now. Not sure why, but it really hurts my willingness to use the K14 further until it's fixed. I like my wobbly windows. :D
wove

Post by wove »

“tlmiller” wrote:I like my wobbly windows.
I like short videos of wobbly windows, but they seemed to grow stale quickly when in daily use. But if need them, I hope they get fixed.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Same here as I can live without wobbly windows :D
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I figured out the OpenSUSE issue. Turns out the compositor had crashed at some point, and it just decided to turn it off. Didn't TELL me it had turned it off. Just did it. Re-enabled compositor and then rebooted and I have wobbly windows back. All is good in OpenSUSE land again.
wove

Post by wove »

SUSE was the first Linux I purchased, a big box lots of manuals. I thought it pretty nice. Then they seemed to just fall apart. Then they sort of came back. They had that make your own spin tool and for a time there was a lot of interesting stuff going on there. There was a lot of garbage in those spins too. Some things like Yast feel like they should have been retired or at least reimagined a long time ago. I do recall at first yast was instrumental in getting my printer working, but the last time I tried SUSE Yast just messed up things I had setup via other means. Plus I was never a big fan of all the green, but I did like the gecko(?).