What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by crosscourt »

Getting ready to upgrade my Dell Optiplex 7010 SFF from a G630 cpu to a i3-3240.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just finished installing the i3-3240 cpu and it runs very cool given this is an SFF system. Performance is excellent and is noticeable when Im viewing videos in particular. Will be gaming some with this cpu, mostly older games so looking forward to seeing how it does.
The Dell heatsink fan in this system is pretty good with a copper core and tubes that run from the cpu to fins just under the fan. Quiet and efficient.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Very pleased with this cpu as its speed and ability to stay cool is a great match for this small system Will be testing it in the USFF version as well to see if heat becomes an issue.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just received another Dell Optiplex 7010 USFF in mint condition and decided to install Linux mint 18.3 Cinnamon to test. These systems are great as HTPC, or small servers, gaming consoles or just to save space as a small pc.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Picked up another Dell Optiplex 7010 SFF which Im going to turn into a gaming console, for older games that easily can run on the Intel IGP.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Got a Dell E6420 from work that I'm checking. The user was having issues with it shutting off randomly, I have a feeling it was the OS not the hardware, but I'm testing it anyway. Put a newer, larger (500 GB vs. 320 GB), more efficient (single platter vs. dual platter) drive into it, upgraded it to 6 GB ram from 4 GB, and have been running Arch on it (happens to be what was on the drive I put in). So far, no issues. Just did a 500 MB download updates without even flinching.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Free is good! Im a big fan of Dell laptops, particularly in terms of battery life.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, it was horrendously filthy, but after cleaning it up it's in good shape, and then when I got the drive swapped and looked at the battery information, I was shocked that it only had a few hundred hours of usage, and still charged to 100%.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thats a winner and its a nice model I was looking at myself to buy used.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, I'm thinking when I get back from vaca next weekend I'll throw windows 7 on it and upgrade to 10 (just so it's licensed for 10), then I'm thinking about putting Calculate on it, in order to try out something based on Gentoo (since my attempts to run Gentoo in the last few years have all met with the realization that I hate waiting for things to compile 4 hours into my first MAJOR update).