What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by crosscourt »

Pex is great stuff to work with and is ideal for older homes with issues. I tried to get them to use it here in the condos to solve some issues but they still wanted to do things the hard way.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

PEX is not bad to work with. The most often mentioned drawback is it has a high coefficient of friction, so you either loose water pressure, or you have to go with bigger pipe. Personally what I dislike is that installs always look so unprofessional. It just seems very janky compared to nice even straight lines of metal pipe. The pipe itself is fairly inexpensive which is a real plus, but for first time use, the cost of new tooling offsets that savings. And of course for personal use what on earth do I do with ~$150 worth of tools. Also the fittings of which a lot more seem to be required sort of nickel and dime you pieces.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Many types of Pex have built in coatings to reduce the friction issue. The installs for some look unprofessional but in fact that the beauty of Pex, as it can go and do things conventional plumbing simply cant, and its easier to install and fix. Youll be glad you have those tools, just in case something goes wrong or you decide to replace other plumbing in your house. Having extra fittings is insurance, particular when you do your first Pex job and may have had inadvertent issues. Compare it to the cost of regular plumbing today and its a huge bargain.
Site Moderator