What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by tlmiller »

Libranet linux was the first linux I ever purchased. It was instrumental in my getting online with Linux.

Yeah, not a fan of the green. And I agree with Yast. I just don't use it. For updates I use zypper from the terminal, for most other management things I use the command line tools. But it runs well overall since they made it possible to ditch the "patterns". I have like 5 patterns installed, that's it. :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Xandros was my first Linux OS that I purchased at Babbages. Fantastic OS that honestly was way better than Windows but still had compatibility with Windows.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Babbages, now there's a namedrop I haven't heard in YEARS...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Babbages was bought out by Barnes & Noble but it was an amazing store. My wife would drop me off and do some shopping and I got lost in all the goodies they had.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I live in a very rural area and stores like Babbages, Circuit City and such were not around. So for me there was really no access to tech via store front retail. I would find things via magazine articles or Compuserve/Genie forum and write away for a catalog, intently dig through it, order something and wait patiently or impatiently for it to arrive. So the time between deciding I would like to look at Linux and actually having a Linux to install would be at least a month.

The internet arrived in '96(?) and it was dail into an AIX machine at the phone company central office, open a session and explore the world via command line tools. FTP and gopher were the way to go. All downloads were fast of course because they would be to the host system, then you could sort out how to get the file was was really impossible because the best I had was a 2400 baud modem. But it was very exciting to get outside the curated walls of Compuserve and Genie.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Internet arrived in 1994 and it was very prominent with the launch of Windows 95. I still remember waiting at midnight to get my copy.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I'm on the T14G2 tonight. Had quite a few updates, apparently I hadn't touched it since wiping Endeavour off and installing Debian. While it's been eclipsed by the G3, it's still some incredibly powerful laptop when you take into account that the CPU is only a 15-watt TDP version.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

One of the former board members gave me a Dell Latitude 3330 with the 1.8ghz Ivy Bridge i3 cpu. Its in mint condition and runs very well. I added 8gb of ram and a 256gb ssd with Win10 initially but will eventually run Zorin on it. I was impressed to find a bios update from 2018 for this laptop given its age.
The display is only 1366x768 but the visual quality and color saturation is really nice. It has a hatch on the bottom of the laptop so you can easily replace the ram and ssd. It has an updated wifi card and gets excellent speed.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Friend of mine is sending me a retirement gift. Its a mint condition Dell Latitude 3460 laptop. Ill upgrade the ram to 16gb and add a ssd to it and see how it goes. Its using the 1.7ghz Celeron I believe so curious to see how the 5th generation cpu does in use.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Received the Dell 3460 and its in mint condition. Decided to run 8gb of ram to save some cash, added a 512gb ssd and flashed the bios. It runs very well with the 1.7 dual core celeron. For a cheap laptop the fit and finish was very good and having a panel you can remove to change the drive is handy.
Will use it as my knock around laptop given its light weight. Screen quality is much better than the 3340/3350 laptops I had even though its still only 1366x768.
Site Moderator