What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
wove

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by wove »

Thanks for the url. I forgot it was an nvme drive which I can use, but I did search and find a 2.5" SATA SSD that I can use for the same money. My first attempt to purchase on my laptop failed. There were security concerns? So I bought it from the AliExpress iPad app and that went through with out an issue. AliExpress said mid February, but the listing said expect delivery in 7 to 10 days.

You can not help but wonder at times. I purchased 32GB of RAM for the T580 from there (no security concerns on that order) for $5 more than what NewEgg wanted for an 8GB stick. I guess the Chinese did not get the memo that RAM prices are going through the roof. It was the same expect in mid Feb then showed up a week later. The stick say they are Crucial RAM. I do not know whether they are or just fakes, but they work fine, no errors or kernel panics yet any way. Of course all the tech we use is Chinese imports. I think it just shows how much American suppliers manipulate the prices to keep their profits way up; "Daddy needs another trip in space!" :)
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

When I ordered I got the security concerns so just closed the browser and came back again and it worked fine.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

So as a test I took and backed up my /home on my T14 G2 AMD system onto this (rsync -avz). ~75 GB (steam). It must have pseudo slc cache, because it never slowed down, and backed it up in QUITE good speed. So I'm definitely happy with my purchase that I've been able to test so far.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im also going to use it as a backup for one of my systems
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

In honesty I have no idea what to do with that much storage on a single drive. I think maybe just bragging rights; "Hey I have a TWO TERABYTE SSD." Although I think now a days a 2TB drive does not count for bragging rights. Maybe I will just 3d print a pedestal to put it on. :)
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I could fill 2tb with just my wife's videos and pictures. My games take up a lot of space and right now my 2tb drive is 60% full. If I worked at it I could get away with 1tb but its nice to have the extra storage.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I don't even have 1 TB taken up on my NAS, so definitely no chance of my filling one. Despite that, I have 6 2TB in my machines, and another 2 TB in USB enclosures. Along with 4 1TB in USB enclosures. I have far more storage than I can hope to use.
wove

Post by wove »

So you probably have more digital storage at home than existed in whole world in 1975? I was thinking the other day that I probably have more RAM in this laptop that every computer in the world had in 1970? Just astonishing how far things have come. I was reading the other day, that it was expected that every document ever created (and still existing) that has been created by man, from clay tablets onward will be digitized by 2030 and from then on computers will just easily be able to keep up with the world's output. We have the modern equivalent of the Great Library at Alexandria at our finger tips so to speak.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Oh, easily. In my desktop I have 3.5 TB. My laptops (not counting the one for sale) I have 14 TB (6x2TB + 2x1TB), and in external enclosures I have 8 TB (2x2TB + 4x1TB) so about 25TB of SSD storage. Plus my NAS which has 16TB before RAID & formatting, ~11TB (10.9TB if you wanna get really exact) after. This all added up ends up being a grand total of 36TB if you only do the NAS after RAID'ing, or 41TB if you take the raw capacity.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

When I was doing gaming work, I went thru storage very quickly.During that period when it wasnt quite as demanding, I was using 8-10tb.
Ny wife does a lot of communication work and can fill a drive very quickly. She presently has 3tb in use but if you include all the other videos and pictures its another 6tb.
Site Moderator