What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by crosscourt »

Im very diversified right now with my HP Elitedesk 705 G4 Ryzen 5 2400g mini running Win10 that I use for older gaming and some average tasks. Then my Dell Optiplex 7010 I5 3470 SFF that I use for Linux testing with MX Linux 23 on it for the moment. Then my HP Victus 15L with Win11 with Ryzen 5 5600g and Nvidia 1660 super that I use for gaming presently but I also have the better speced Dell XPS 8490 with a 11400f I5 xpu and a Radeon RX 6600 gpu. Gaming pcs have 32gb of ram which includes the Ryzen 5 2400g mini system.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Wife decided she will go with the Dell XPS 8490 as her next office pc but theres no huge rush for the time being. Should be a nice setup for her.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Presentlyusing my HP Elitedesk 800 G2 mini as a daily driver and my Asus G10dk desktop as my gaming rig.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I replaced my Chromeboxes with Linux systems but Im playing with the Chromeboxes a bit. Trying out the Linux and Android features and seeing what I can do with them.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im going to upgrade the ram and possibly upgrade the ssd. Given Ive got 32gb in one and 128gb in the other and Im using 256gb sd cards it might not need an ssd upgrade.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I've been using Chrome OS devices now for quite some time ,both as personal devices and for entertainment . The experience has improved hugely, since I first tried them back in 2019. I've been using them steadily and have found myself using them more, than my other systems except for gaming. I got involved with a site as a staffer, that deals with the Chrome OS ecosystem and have been delving even deeper into these devices. I'm presently experimenting with Linux apps and it's really shown how much can be done. Chris Titus was the first to praise Chrome OS and I followed some of his tutorials, getting more familiar with the additional things you can do with COS. The separation of the Chrome browser from the system has finally begun to take hold and further features/changes are coming. For productivity I've found COS is a very enjoyable experience and except for my Windows gaming rig I'm toying with making a full change. The gaming site I work at uses Google apps and the level of interaction is amazing and you find yourself forgetting about the OS and just getting things done. Maybe Ill feel differently down the road but right now it's been a great experience. Hardware support has improved hugely and working offline has improved as well.
I'll post a separate thread down the road, where I'll get into more detail on devices, apps and overall experience.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

My Asus Chromebox 3 should arrive today and Ill be adding some ram initially. Down the road Im going to add a larger ssd but with a Micro xd card slot its easy to add additional storage. Ive already got 256gb cards that run at 150gbps.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I installed Chrome OS Flex last night on one of my Lenovo Thinkcentre m700 Tiny systems and it went very well. Most Linux users would cringe at using it, but for most everyday users, this type of system would be a great option. It lacks Google Play but other than that its pretty much the same.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The Asus Chromebox 3 came in and I added more ram and have been using it since it arrived. Very nice design, and works very well. The additional ram really helps but honestly with Chrome OS 4gb is really all you need even though I went to 8gb.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I finally found an open source email app in the play store called Fair Email that uses the Thunderbird auto config and is very easy to install and use. Having to log into my email constantly was a pain. Ive added 256gb micro sd cards in all the Chrome devices given they have between 32-128gb of internal storage.
Site Moderator