What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by crosscourt »

A number of items I purchased were counterfeit, in one case it was a remarked item and a few that didnt show up. Gave up after those experiences.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Surprisingly never had the counterfeit issue yet. I did have 1 order that never showed up, however Ali Express was very good (if slow) about refunding me the full amount including shipping & taxes. I will only pay them through paypal (I don't trust them with my CC details), and I won't buy anything beyond a few hundred dollars because of the same reason, but for mostly small cheap things, they've been great to me.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

So decided to try out some stuff on the little cheapy Dere. Since I put the MS30 1TB in it, decided to use it to (attempt)to find a tolerable setup for Win11. So got Win11 Pro on there, dual booting with Debian 12. Mostly Debian 12 works with it. I did have to install the firmware-realtek package for wifi. And as something I've never seen before, I had to switch from pulseaudio to pipewire for audio in order for the sound to work. Pulse just wouldn't detect the sound card, while Pipewire had no issues and works just fine.
Possibly something to try for anyone who uses Debian-based distro's on a laptop that you JUST CAN'T get the audio to work on. If it succeeds, and you need to use Bluetooth audio, don't forget to install libspa-0.2-bluetooth since pulseaudio-module-bluetooth will get uninstalled when wireplumber gets installed.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Using Win 11, what changed your mind?
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Figured I might as well see if it can be made to be usable. So far with a lot of "explorer patcher" options it's mostly usable. Of course, then I ran into other issues. Firefox on Windows I can't get NFL.com videos to play (at all). And it wouldn't let me log into office.com, just kept going back to the login screen. ??? So while it LOOKS tolerable, I still can't really use it for a lot of things. And sadly, while Edge is IMO the best Chromium-based browser on linux, on Windows it just nags SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH it's unusable.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I have no issues running NFL.com videos on Win11 and office.com works fine. I use Firefox almost exclusively and havent had any issues online with any sites.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I certainly wasn't expecting to have issues, but it did. Haven't tried again since I had the issue, so it could have been something as simple as an update applied in Windows, I won't know until I boot it again.

Because of how flaky the touchpad is (it's not very accurate at all and will sometimes ignore input for a split second), I decided to get a Bluetooth mouse to use with this, since it has only 2 TOTAL USB ports, a USB-C, and a USB-A. So not wanting to take up 50% of the ports with a wireless mouse, I ordered some cheapy Bluetooth mice from AliExpress that should be here by the end of the month.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Do the NFL videos play in any of the other browsers as you mentioned Edge? Could it be an add on for Firefox? I dont use any additional add ons for blocking ads for instance. Are the add ons enabled as Ive seen that happen occasionally with some systems. Do you run stricter security with Win11 or Firefox settings? If it doesnt run in Edge Windows settings need to be checked.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Don't know, didn't try. The only other (usable) browser I have installed is Vivaldi, and there's just SOOOOOOOOOOO much that needs to be changed for it to be tolerable.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

What do you mean that Edge nags? Notifications? You can shut that down easily.
Site Moderator