What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by crosscourt »

I havent had many issues with getting hardware outside of video cards, but thats improved.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Did some OS & hardware musical chairs today. Saw that the K14 I wanted was now showing as shipping no later than tomorrow (6/29). So I ordered it. To prepare, I removed the drive from the L14 that will go into the K14 (along with the OS, OpenSUSE TumbleWeed). Put the Helix-L 1TB in the L14 and installed KDE Neon in it. And the T495 that Neon used to be on will now get to be a Q4OS test box for a while, until AT LEAST I sell off the G5 SE 5505, then I may get rid of it, as well. But won't consider it until then since it's just gotten a new hard case.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just couldnt help yourself, LOL!!
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

It was a good price!!!
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Been using the T495 w/ Q4OS tonight. I've really got it configured how I like. The only real weaknesses I've found are the lack of games in Trinity compared to Plasma 5, the inability to have it work with external screens as plug-and-play, and the inability to get xdg-user-dirs to stop creating directories in my /home. I've commented out the directories I don't want created in ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs, still happens. I added enabled=False to ~/.config/user=dirs.dirs. Still does it. I changed /etc/xdg/user-dirs.conf from enabled=True to enabled=False. Nope, still creates them. Whoever thought of xdg-user-dirs should be shot, stabbed, drawn, quartered, bathed in acid, lit on fire, an shot into the sun.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Gave up on Trinity as I got tired of the issues and having to make changes. Much prefer Plasma.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I do much prefer plasma, but Trinity has it's charms. Mostly speed. I mean, Plasma is quick. Trinity is....a coked out meth head that just railed 10 lines of speed with a red bull chaser in comparison. To be fair, it's rather faster than any other DE that's still actively developed. And it's got a few neat tricks up it's sleeves. Like the Tasty Menu. Far from perfect, but a multi-pane menu done...closer to right than most others manage.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Given Im running a lot better hardware and more ram, Trinity isnt the necessity it use to be. Plasma speed is excellent even on my 4th generation systems.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, but there's an appeal to having my hardware run like said "coked out meth head that just railed 10 lines of speed with a red bull chaser". Mostly because I love typing that line, it just makes me laugh.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

LOL!!!
Site Moderator