crosscourt

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by crosscourt »

Totally agree.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

Along the lines of firmware updates, I flashed Tow-Boot to the Pinebook Pro. With it installed, the Pinebook Pro will boot to a default OS, but holding down the esc key on boot allows you to select the boot media of your choice, including the USB 3 ports.

The USB 3 ports are as fast as the emmc on the Pinebook Pro, so it is possible to install an OS to a fast thumb drive and run it from there. Nothing major overall, but it did raise my interest in the Pinebook Pro, which has been waning for several months.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

To interest more people into using Linux, as many aspects of the user experience have to be simplified and standardized. Everything from being able to update a bios easily, to installing apps, simple way to clone a drive,to having a good GUI to make things easier/user friendly and good driver/hardware support. The mainstream Linux distros are heading in this direction.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive gpt Windows 7 and Zorin OS running on my Dell 7010 Optiplex MT. Its a nice combination for getting things done and playing some older games.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Got another Dell Optiplex 7010 MT from the trash in mint condition. I5 3.4ghz cpu, 4gb ram. I went to 16gb ram, added a 512gb ssd, and a Geforce GT640 gpu. Runs extremely well and the cleanest throw out Ive ever seen.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I've decided to sell my Chuwi. Nothing wrong with it, just not using it much anymore with all the octo-core 16-thread laptops I have now. I haven't posted it on Craigslist or Ebay yet (lazy), but if there's anyone who knows someone that might be interested, let me know. It WILL ship in the original shipping box with all the original protective gear. This is a gen1 GemiBook, so

Intel Gemini Lake Refresh Celeron J4125 (10-watt quad-core quad-thread CPU)
16GB LPDDR4x (soldered, not upgradable)
Intel UHD600 IGP
Intel AX200 (201?) + Bluetooth 5.0
1 TB m.2 SATA SSD.
1 free slot for another m.2 SATA SSD if someone wants
14" 2160*1440 (3:2) LCD
Comes with a barrel charger
USB-C port on left side is FULLY functional (USB PD charging, alt-mode DP, data)
Has a USB A-type port on the right side
I upgraded it to Windows 11, it is fully supported by it

I'll be selling it for around $170 + shipping.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

You might want to post a separate thread to gain more interest, as we get a decent number of readers.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:52 am You might want to post a separate thread to gain more interest, as we get a decent number of readers.
Eh, it's not THAT important, I just figured if one of the regulars reads this and happened to know someone looking for something along these lines (light, great aspect ratio, cheap, good enough for basic web/office work) then I'd post, but I'm not in any kind of a hurry since quite honestly, at the price it's going to actually sell at right now (<$200), it's barely worth selling. Reason I (still) haven't listed on Craigslist or Ebay. I'd probably just keep it if not for the simple issue of I'm just bored with it since I can't run VM's on it, and compiling software when I use Arch on it is a little slow (although maybe not as slow as people would think, these Celerons are starting to get rather decent).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ordered a Team Group EX2 1tb2.5 ssd as a backup drive for Win11 on my Ryzen system. Already running a 2tb Crucial MX500 2.5 ssd along with a plethora of 256/512gb ssds both Sata and NVMe.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I've got all my SSD's in now at this point, installed and running. Mostly what I expected. The 970 Evo+ 2TB is INSANELY fast, although again as we've discussed before, it's nothing that I can FEEL, only see in benchmarks. The XLR8 2TB drive is JUST BARELY below it in benchmarks, but proves to be the value champ. The WD SN750 "Black" 2TB is actually slower than the XLR8, although not tremendously. All 3 should last me for years before needing to replace them. I've got the drives they've ultimately replaced up on Craigslist now, just leaving the heatsinks on them since the stickers are gone.