What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

What hardware are you using?

Post by crosscourt »

Tell us what hardware youre using with Linux and what your experience has been like.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by crosscourt »

Ive got a lot of Dell Optiplex 7010 systems, 1 tower and desktop with i5 3470 cpu with 8gb, 500gb hard drive and geforce 1050ti in one and a geforce gt610 in the other. Ive got 4 usff and one sff with pentium g2130 cpus with 4-6gb of ram and 250gvb hard drives. Ive alao got two Dell E5410 laptops, 3 Dell Vostro V130 laptops and 4 Dell Latitude D430 laptops.

The 7010 systems are a joy to use and configure and with their configuration the same i can swap hard drives at will.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I have an eclectic bunch of hardware anymore. I'm mostly a laptop user, having multiple Dell Latitutes, a couple Lenovo Thinkpads, an HP Chromebook (w/ mrchromebox firmware so full pc not running chromeos) and an Acer Aspire, along with my aging desktop.

All of them work wonderfully with multiple distro's of linux.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im assuming you got hooked on laptops due to your work. Im a desktop guy and I deal with all form factors including mini-itx but prefer USFF/SFF for special uses and my dekstops for gaming and projects. Most of the laptops are for my wife and for me to use when I work with clients.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Not usually. I buy refurbed/used. I trowel Craigslist looking for good deals, I have an account to buy as a business with all the major OEM's (or did at one point, I think several have lapsed), and one of the linux forums I'm a long-time member of I supply probably half the regular posters with hardware & support, so they all trust hardware that they get from me, so they'll pay more than rock bottom when I sell stuff. there's one guy there who literally almost everything he's used in the last 12 years was from me (2 laptops, E6400 that was upgraded about as far as it could be taken, which finally started giving out about 2 years ago and he bought an E7440 w/ SSD from me to replace it).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I buy mostly from Ebay but I know so many vendors its easy to find deals and nice systems. I also buy/barter with the swap shop and ive got two really good clearance centers in my area for tech, one based in McClean so I do pretty well. Wish I had better luck selling systems but doing pretty well so far.
Im a bit behind the curve so sometimes its better for me just to ditch the system and move on.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Up until about a year ago I stayed pretty ahead of the curve. With Dell Latitudes no longer coming with the E-dock port (as of the Exx80), I haven't bought anything new since that was released, and I don't foresee myself buying new again until I can get business systems with a ryzen mobile 5 or 7.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I wont be running new systems probably ever again. Combination of lack of cash and the fact that the performance of the older systems for the cost is simply amazing. My Ivy Bridge systems exceed my expectations for what I use them for so really happy right now.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

As far as being happy with the systems, I am completely content with what I have now, but I really want some laptops with the low voltage quad-core multithreaded so they can do 8 threads simultaneously. The Kaby-refresh and Ryzen Mobile 5 & 7 both do that. I want the Ryzen specifically to support the underdog. So far though, I have only even seen 2 laptops with Ryzen mobiles, 1 of which is a low resolution model, and the other is impossible to actually FIND.

Also, not sure what I'd get rid of, since my lower end systems aren't really WORTH anything and so basically are given away after shipping unless sold locally, and the upper systems I'd hate to get rid of since they use the E-dock except the T450s, which is my newest and wouldn't want to get rid of my newest system yet.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I tend to keep my systems too long ,then Im cant sell them. End up ditching them or donating them when possible. The swap shop though helps in some cases.
Site Moderator