HP :Envy x360 13.3

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Re: HP :Envy x360 13.3

Post by tlmiller »

I'm kinda mixed on Lenovo. They're thinkpads are some of hte best laptops in the industry. The rest of their laptops are really nice machines, but they have a tendency to release it and abandon it, never releasing firmware updates for the BIOS. Which sucks. So probably won't buy anything Lenovo in the future unless it's a Thinkpad. Although the thinkpads do have, by far, the best keyboards on laptops of anyone. And it's not close.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Too many issues with Lenovo in general, not to mention you brought up the many bios issues Ive had with them. Dell is a far friendlier company(better prices as well) that was always quick to help and I like the overall design of their products most of the time. keyboards, all laptop keyboards are average as i use gaming keyboards that far outperform anything a laptop uses.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Thinkpads gets regular bios upgrades. I've never seen them not release timely updates on the Thinkpad series. I've had quite a few of them over the years.

I do like the design on the Dells (as you can probably tell by the shear number of Dells I've owned in the short time you've known me), but I like the Thinkpad series due to the keyboards and how much truly better than all other laptops they are. I do use gaming (mechanical gaming ones at that) keyboards and so agree that they're insanely better than laptops, but just considering laptops, the Thinkpad keyboards are heads and shoulders higher than anything HP/Dell/Acer/Asus/etc. has ever used that I've touched. It was once a complete PITA IMO due to IBM/Lenovo used to whitelist wifi cards so you couldn't upgrade them unless it was one that was available on that model, but they stopped doing that somewhere between the ?x30 series and the ?x50 series (the ?x40 series sucked ass and I never had one). My wife has a E450 (looking for an affordable E485 (ryzen) to replace it), I'm selling the T450S (S designates the smaller, more compact version), and since there isn't a T series with a Ryzen (yet), I won't be considering a new T series anytime soon. I'd love to see them release a T485S...I'd definitely consider that in a HEARTBEAT!!

Just looked it up, and there is a A485...but out of my price range right now. Especially since I want the next laptop to be a replacement for my wifes E450.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive had issues with the Thinkpad bios but yes they have been available, even though the updates at times created more issues. ive owned Thinkpads going back to the IBM days but honestly always ended up on Dell for a variety reasons(worked for them, great prices and design, oem Windows versions that run on any supported bios, easy to get parts online) so pretty satisfied.

In regards to keyboards most laptop keyboards feel the same to me, but I also use mostly used laptops so keyboards are rarely perfect anyway.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Kinda odd that you've had issues with the BIOS, as I've never had an issue with the BIOS on the Thinkpads. Only HP have I ever had issues with their BIOS updates.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive had issues with HP and Dell for that matter so its not just Thinkpads but Dell's issues were tame versus HP and Thinkpad. It depends on what hardware were talking about as you may have had better luck with some systems. Im also looking at bios all the way from the IBM days to some recent experiences.
Ive had many people say theyve had no issues with their systems yet there i sit with the same system and the bios is screwed up. Revision in hardware, who knows.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Beginning to wonder if the seller isn't a scammer. Supposed to arrive Friday and haven't received shipping information yet. I'm honestly surprised people still try to scam on ebay. With electronic payments and everything through paypal, you don't get anything, Paypal holds the money long enough that it'll just get pulled back and refunded as soon as a claim is made.

Although it's possible they shipped and just didn't put in shipping information, there's been a few things I've sold that I did that with. We'll find out. Hoping he was legit (he's got a bit of positive feedback, a LITTLE negative as well, but more positive) though, I'd really like another Ryzen.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Where is it shipping from? Weather or the holiday crunch may have affected the situation.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Don't know where the seller is located. It's always possible, but I always expect the worst. I've had 4 auctions in the last year that I won that ended up were scams. So I'm not exactly shocked when I buy a scam auction. But since the guarantees are in place to ensure you get your item or your money back, other than being out a few hundred for a couple weeks while I wait for the refund (which this I paid with PayPal credit, so no money out of pocket), then no big deal.

edit: So I just looked up the sellers profile, he's located 20-40 mintues from me, depending on traffic...
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Twas a scam. Didn't even have to wait, got a refund today.