Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Solus Linux is under new management

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: Solus Linux is under new management

Post by crosscourt »

Isnt this the second time this distro had issues like this and had to recover?
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I'm fairly certain you are correct on that.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I think it began in 2012 and they had some issues and reinvented themselves again in 2015 or 2016 to where they are today.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

So just to check it out, I installed Solus today. It's actually a pretty good looking OS. The budgie desktop isn't quite KDE, but it's still a "traditional" desktop design, with a Win7-esque menu, so it would be tolerable. It's not very quick on my hardware I'm testing on (E6420 that was my corporate laptop before I got the Precision, but I long ago threw in a 120 GB SSD), far slower than Debian or Manjaro (which was on there earlier). Also the repos are EXTREMELY spartan compared to the Debians, Ubuntus, Arch, Fedora's of the world.

Eopkg works well, but again, slow. Pretty basic usage, eopkg {upgrade,search,install,remove), and it does support some of the advanced features such as autoremove (remove all dependencies with package) and remove-orphans. So there's definitely potential.

Given that the forums they love to rave about how fast the OS is, I'm rather surprised by how slow it is on my hardware. At any rate, definitely not an OS that I'm going to keep around, but it's better than things like OpenSuse LEAP in that it's at least USABLE. It's very much in the same bag to me as Void Linux and Frugalware, not something I'd use as a daily OS, but not far from being something I'd use with a few improvements.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Never cared for Solus and I dont care for Budgie. In my original test it was slow and had some issues. Comparing it to OpenSUSE Id take Leap any day over Solus.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I haven't seen too many issues, although obviously I definitely saw the same slowness as you.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The issues I spoke of were with an earlier version of Solus. Its the slowness thats the issue this time around and i dont like Budgie. I did try Ubuntu Budgie and liked it but still dislike Budgie.
Site Moderator