Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

The best Linux distros of 2018

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: The best Linux distros of 2018

Post by tlmiller »

I agree with most stable and best server...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Manjaro as the most beginner friendly made me chuckle but they did remember Mint. Gaming Fedora game spin I couldnt understand at all.
Agree with your two choices as well and best overall distro Im assuming for mainstream users for me would be Mint,
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

As much as I dislike Ubuntu, I would tend to agree Mint is the best for mainstream users. Less resource intensive than Ubuntu proper, a bit more polished as well. And has a similar enough gui to Windows that it's pretty easy to learn.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Mint's as close to generic mainstream Linux as you can get. It wont suit everybody but works out of the box for most everybody.

What floors me is, Manjaro is number 1 over at Distrowatch. Its really that popular?
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

A former Unix programmer I work with is a giant Manjaro fan, and I know a bunch of people who love it. Seems like it hits most of the marks for people. It's a simple (calamares) installer, decent default installation for the more inexperienced users, but has all the power of Arch if you need it for the power users.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive installed it on a number of computers and had quite a few issues. Same hardware Mint iinstalls with no problems,MX17 installs with no problems

Ive read reviews from a number of well known reviewers and they had the same problems I had.
Site Moderator