Neptune Linux

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Re: Neptune Linux

Post by crosscourt »

Ive done the whole gamut of testing so far, games,videos, streaming and a few side projects and Neptune is very stable and continues to be fast.
Speed is comparable to MX17 so thats saying something.

Memory usage at GUI is 486mb, thats excellent if youre looking for a Full OS experience.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just installed on my Dell 7010 USFF with Intel GPU and so far just fine. No issues at all with excellent performance.

Next up Im going to install on my E5410 laptop and see how it does with a full dose of proprietary hardware. Will try a live sessions first.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Dell E5410 install was a breeze. No additional drivers needed, all hardware recognized and performance was excellent. Wifi typically I have to install drivers so this was a nice surprise. Resource usage is about the same as the desktops around 500mbs.

Definitely going to be one of my go to distros that honestly installs easier than Mint.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

While I doubt I'll use it myself, It'll probably become one of my more heavily recommended given that I will always take Plasma over any other desktop, and they have managed to get it remarkably light for Plasma, while simultaneously staying with a STABLE base!!
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

To me this is the perfect distro for you given its lightness and excellent KDE Plasma setup. Only PCLOS KDE Mini approaches this level of lightness.

No FF59 is an issue but in time they will more than likely provide extra apps.

With these kinds of distros support in the future always becomes an issue and they waited 2 years before making a larger change, but its a great distro.

Right now MX17 and Neptune are my favorite distros. They are installed on a fair number of my systems. Its been nice getting back to KDE which I enjoyed .
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

If it was easy to add FF59, I'd agree that it would be perfect for me. AS is, it's actually faster for me to do a minimal Debian install, add the repos and pinning that I've setup, and install everything I want than to do the slight customization to this that I'd want. This gives me an identical desktop to Neptune, except with FF59. If Neptune team had their pinning done correctly so sid could be enabled without issues, OR if Mozilla hurried up and replaced ESR52 with ESR59 (if they still plan on 59 being a ESR which they kept saying it would be for quite some time), I'd have absolutely no issues switching to neptune, literally FF is the ONLY program I use SID for.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Actually in April they are moving to ESR 60. I dont care for Debian myself which is why I do like some of the distros based on Debian that do a few things differently like MX17.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Really enjoying Neptune, very stable and Im running both the Dell 7010 and E5410 laptop with no issues. Its a great choice for average everyday use but not a good choice if you want to game.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Neptune 5.1 just released.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I might have to try it just to see if they fixed the pinning inconsistency.