Fedora 40 is out.

Discussion on Linux distributions
wove

Fedora 40 is out.

Post by wove »

Fedora released version 40 out into the wild yesterday. As near as I can tell all versions are available. They can be obtained at <https://getfedora.org>. I have not tried it. From what I have read this release focuses on optimization is a solid bump in performance. Fedora Magazine <https://fedoramagazine.org> has good articles on installing/upgrading.

I believe a new version of Ubuntu drops tomorrow and from what I have read it looks to be a solid LTS release.
crosscourt

Re: Fedora 40 is out.

Post by crosscourt »

You are correct Ubuntu 24.04 will release tomorrow assuming nothing crazy happens.
Site Moderator
wove

Re: Fedora 40 is out.

Post by wove »

I ran up Fedora 40 Silverblue edition in a VM. Since it is an immutable system using the Gnome DE and flatpaks for applications it is very very similar to Endless OS. The big difference is SilverBlue is based on Fedora while Endless is based on Debian. Endless is focused a lot on education and family, while SilverBlue is focused more on a typical productivity environment. An odd twist is that Endless based on Debian uses dnf to layer in sandboxed additions to the immutable OS which in what just seems weird both OSes use the same framework to make changes to the immutable part of the system.

For myself Endless tends to be a bit more of a playful system out of the box making it more fun for the grandkids and I to romp around in. I have found that Gnome Boxes is quite adequate for my need to play with VMs. Running an immutable OS in a VM on an immutable OS is my answer to being surreal :) From what I have read on Endless, they do their OS development running the development version of Endless in Gnome Boxes running on the current stable version of Endless OS.

The most notable difference between Fedora SilverBlue and Endless OS is in the speed of updates to the immutable portion of the system. Applications for both systems are flatpaks, so application updates happen at the same frequency. However Fedora updates system components at a much quicker pace, with new libraries and services updating quickly while Endless' system components coming from Debian happen at a much slower pace. Fedora will have component updates requiring a system restart at least once a week, while Endless update will only require a restart once a month.