NAS setup question(s)

Discussion of hardware related issues
wove

Re: NAS setup question(s)

Post by wove »

In my case the simple and most straight forward solution is to simply turn on file sharing on Endless. Endless is my main OS and has been for several years now. The machine is always on, although it sleeps 23 hours a day. So when I need to grab a file I just need to walk over and tap the mouse to wake Endless up. Not sneaker net, but sneaker activated net.

I am a sucker for tech gadgets and when they get old and obsolete I get even more excited. I had to totally disassemble the TimeCapsule before I even fired it up to see if it works. For me the hardware is really where the excitement lies. Software is just creating a new (and better?) workflow for what we know how to do already. And generally the bulk of software feels a bit disappointing.

Gnome and KDE for me do have excellent workflows. Cinnamon and xfce have always seemed to me like a shop where all the tools are just dumped on the floor. In a wood shop your project stays on the bench you finish using the saw, the move on to the chisel. In Cinnamon and xfce, it always feels like you finish with the saw, then you put everything away, (saving your work) then find the next tool, bring your project back to the bench. I do not know there is just no fluid rhythm to work in Cinnamon or xfce. I can see where they would work in production, where you do your bit then pass it on for work to continue.

I am 5 years older than Chris, which probably makes my best skills just walking upright and taking nourishment. :)
crosscourt

Re: NAS setup question(s)

Post by crosscourt »

Im the youngster here, LOL! I try to like Cinnamon but it doesnt do it for me. I use to love XFCE but it feels disjointed now and I cant use it any more. Ive gotten use to Gnome but KDE still feels the best amd is the DE I prefer. The many custom Gnome Shell distros like Zorin Ive actually enjoyed along with the hybrids like Feren OS. Im not into much older hardware any more but Im still a bit behind the curve with hardware that still does the job for me. That may change as I get older and poorer as my needs begin to morph.
Site Moderator