Kubuntu powered by Trinity

Discussion on Linux distributions
wove

Kubuntu powered by Trinity

Post by wove »

My 2008 MBP will run just about any distro based on Ubuntu 22.04. I installed Kubuntu 22.04 which runs decent. I then followed the directions on the Trinity website for installing Trinity on Kubuntu. It went without a hitch and when the system restarts you are greated with a "Kubuntu powered by Trinity" splash screen.

It is really a very seamless melding of the DEs. The Trinity desktop is there is all its splender. If you install the full Trinity package, you have a great deal of Trinity software. It does nothing to remove anything that has been installed in the original Kubuntu install although some of it does not show up in the menu. But since I generally launch things with search, I found that all the KDE software is there ready to jump out and work. Going for ksysguard via search brings up the Kubuntu rather new KDE version which does work fine while selecting ksysguard in the menu brings up the Trinity version, which also works fine. I was a bit surprised at how easily the melding of DEs works.

Being Trinity however does have the advantage of very low system resource usage. On first start TDE is using ~250MB, and opening a half dozen applications across a couple desktops still stays well below the 4GB max that this hardware recognizes. I do enjoy the Konqueror Web browser/file manager which has a menu item to "Open in Firefox" so when a site that the old Konqueror stumbles on it is very easy to just pass it over to Firefox.

The old version of Kontact connects NextCloud to gather contacts and calendars and Konqueror displays the files on NextCloud, or on the mirror copy stored in my home folder. I do not use this system for the things I feel more comfortable doing with a newer system, but for general productive and messing around sorts of stuff, this is a fast fun system for a resource limited 16 year old computer.
bin

Re: Kubuntu powered by Trinity

Post by bin »

There's Q4OS version of 22.04 Quark + Trinity https://sourceforge.net/projects/quark- ... o/download
wove

Post by wove »

Q4OS introduced me to Trinity and I am grateful for that. I gave them the donation they asked for and gave them another when I put it on the Pinebook arm laptop. It was a nice seamless experience to get it up and running. As I became more familiar with Trinity I noticed that Q4 had removed or replaced several Trinity components, especially relating to Trinity theming.

I took to putting Trinity on a basic Debian install. That produced a very nice and configurable Trinity. It did however make thing like connecting to different wireless networks rather a bother. So I took to using Trinity in a qemu VM, where the emulator was handling a lot of the lower level hardware configuration. Plus I have found that qemu makes it much easier and faster setup to correct my mistakes (of which there are generally more than a few).

The 2008 MBP is of the right vintage for KDE 3. It would have been a power house at the time. Today its great value is its 17 inch screen. Bullseye does not boot the machine and neither does Q4. Ubuntu 22.04 and all its variants do boot it. The Trinity directions are easy to follow for installing on 22.04 based distros so that is how I got to where I am.

Q4 also does a very nice job of melding newer software into the older DE. I just enjoy being fussy about my desktop's setup. I get the feeling in here that I am not alone in that. I find Trinity without Q4 is easier to get there.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Agree as I tried Trinity away from Q4OS and had a much better experience.
Site Moderator