Dell Inspiron 5676 gaming desktop

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Dell Inspiron 5676 gaming desktop

Post by crosscourt »

A friend of mine called me and offered me the 5676. I use to own one and traded it for something else but regretted that decision ,as I really liked this system. Its an older system manufactured in early 2020. It uses the Ryzen 7 2700x, Radeon RX 580 video card, 16gb of ddr4 ram and a 256gb ssd ,500w PSU ,with Win10. I play games that are a bit older overall and I never found a lot of newer games I wanted to play. The upgrades I did were done initially for two newer games I purchased that in fact could have been played on my 5676. Thinking again that there would be many new games I would like, I made a mistake. Its a mistake many people make, upgrading, when in fact they really don't need to. My friend offered me the system for $145 so I bought it and he also needs the cash. The 5676 should be here tomorrow ,so Im hoping his description matches the actual condition and the system is in good shape. He thankfully said if there were problems he would take it back but Ill do my best to work with the system to get it to work as I like. Ill post back tomorrow once I get it up and running and see what condition it's in and whether it survives being shipped by FedEx.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: Dell Inspiron 5676 gaming desktop

Post by crosscourt »

System came today and was in great condition but a bit dusty. Blew the case out and cleaned the fans and its up and running. Took quite awhile to get Win10 up and running, and add the apps and games but after 6 hours its done. I thanked him for such a great deal and it came with both a 256gb ssd and a Toshiba 1tb spinning drive that actually performed quite well. I copied the drive after upgrades to my 2tb Crucial mx500 ssd and it runs very well. This is a gen 3 board so using a nvme ssd wouldnt give me a huge leg up versus the sata ssd, and the 2.5 drive is a lot easier to get to in the case and runs cooler.
Added my video card and its good to go. Tried to add 2x16gb of 3200 Crucial ram to the system but it wont boot. System natively uses 2400 ram so it may be an issue with the bios. Im in no rush but down the road Ill look around for 2 16gb sticks of 2400 ram from SK Hynix, the brand Dell uses in these systems. Performance is excellent and honestly given the games Im playing, Im not sure 32gb is really needed.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

After using it for awhile, its amazing how nice, quiet and fast this system is, for a system that was bought originally in December of 2019 and continued to be sold thru Fall of 2020.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

So far I cant seem to get the M.2 nvme ssd to work but noticed two things. First a nvme drive thats 512gb or less works just fine, but I had one 1tb drive that was using Win11 from my HP system, and that drive did boot with no issue. Its very curious but given I have far more large 1-2tb sata 2.5 ssds versus nvme its probably for the best. The difference in speed isnt noticeable in 90% of what I do. My 5676 is using Win11 presently after upgrade and that had no affect on the Dell system, which makes what happened with the HP system 1tb drive, all the more curious.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

It appears you cant clone from a sata ssd to a nvme ssd as there are driver issues. You can do the opposite and go from nvme to sata with no issues. I got the nvme drive working but ended up using the 2tb sata ssd instead as I didnt want to buy another drive.

I ended up picking up a RX 5600 XT video card as the RX 6600 card was running at x4 on the pcie 3.0 motherboard for some reason(this card is a x8 card typically). The RX 5600 XT is a x16 card and runs at x8 on the pcie 3.0 motherboard, so performance was quite a bit better. Its also far faster than my Geforce GTX 1660 super cards which are also x16 cards.
Site Moderator