Zorin 17 upgrade is available

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Zorin 17 upgrade is available

Post by crosscourt »

I just upgraded from 16.3 to 17 using the OS upgrade utility and it went very well. It was fast and I had no problems whatsoever. They even make sure you update 16.3 before you try to upgrade to 17. Its very quick and Im running it on a Dell Optiplex 7010 with i5-3470 cpu, 32gb of ram and a 128gb sata ssd. Im also using a Geforce GT 740 video card with the Nouveau drivers and it works fine. Zorin has an install choice for the proprietary drivers with Nvidia if you need it. They use Wayland by default with the 6.5 kernel. The overall feel is smooth, fast and easy to navigate. Theyve added some graphical effects but overall Zorin has refined the experience even further. Flatpacks and Snaps are enabled but they arent the default versus their repos. All my files and apps were carried over with no problems and if you prefer a different DE, there are other versions of Windows along with a standard Gnome desktop.
Dont bother with the Pro version as the Core version is free and has everything you need.
For Windows users this is a great place to start learning Linux and it is setup to run Windows apps through a customized Wine setup, that works very well. For beginners in Linux, I think its a better choice than Mint and with its added features, its still suitable for more advanced users. Im running it full time now using the default DE which is a Windows style GUI based on a customized Gnome shell.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: Zorin 17 upgrade is available

Post by crosscourt »

I've been trying some games, did some work on it, and quite a bit of streaming and so far its great. I'm stunned that some of the reviews over at Distrowatch were so bad for Zorin 17. Its easy to install or upgrade, very compatible with hardware, stable and fast, and handles running Windows apps easily. Fantastic feature set, variety of DE and customization.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Zorin 17.1 released and has significantly upgraded the ability to run Windows apps.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Its interesting as they default to Wayland but so far I haven't had any issues. X11 is still available if needed and overall graphics are quite stable in all uses.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I have to say this is the longest Ive ever stayed on a distro in quite some time, even though I do continue to test distros overall. Its also the first time Im not using a KDE based distro, even though its design has some similarities,
Site Moderator