Wubuntu Windows Ubuntu OS

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Wubuntu Windows Ubuntu OS

Post by crosscourt »

Its amazing how close this is to Windows and can be made to look like Win10 and 11. Many Windows features have been recreated and Im not sure how Microsoft will react to this,

Look here and post back, https://wubuntu.org
Site Moderator
bin

Re: Wubuntu Windows Ubuntu OS

Post by bin »

Interesting - downloading for a look-see.
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

That does look interesting and I might just have to download it and try in a vm to see how it handles windows apps in real life. I can't say I would have a practical use for it, but it could be an alternative suggestion to anyone wanting to leave M$.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thats what I was thinking and for businesses it would create a situation where you wouldnt need as much training but employees feel comfortable using it. For most users you only get a free trial essentially and then have to pay to use it, which for most Linux users is a no go.
Site Moderator
bin

Post by bin »

Well, I had a look and it was quite an experience. Had a look at the Cinnamon/W10 version as these days I'm running Mint LMDE6.

To my mind Wubuntu is a waste of time, energy and effort. Oh and the font rendering sucks big time. That may be because the fonts are not actually defined....but it was not nice.

I can see what they're trying to do, but .................. why? In the end it is not Windows and so all the effort in making it look and behave like windows 10 or 11 is just odd.

I may come back to it at some future time when I've got Qemu/KVM installed and feel like fiddling about.
wove

Post by wove »

“bin” wrote:To my mind Wubuntu is a waste of time, energy and effort.
I am glad you ran Wubuntu up so I did not have to :) I do not know enough about Windows to make any assessment on how it is compared to real Windows 10/11. I have never thought there was much value in trying to create a visual clone of another OS. MacOS went into skeuomorphism for a bit, a few liked it, but most just saw it as gimmicky and it was quickly dropped.

There are several goofy examples of this. Someone actually developed reins as a steering mechanism for cars; I guess feeling that horse riders would more easily adapt to cars if cars had reins. If something is truly useful I think people figure out how to use it. The lack of a rotary dial did not hinder the adaption of smart phone. The lack of a steering wheel did not slow the adaption of the skid loader.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I see no need for Wubuntu and trying to copy Windows to this extent. Zorin is a far more polished distro and can do everything Wubuntu can do, without being a clone of Windows.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I hadn't got as far as downloading it yet, and I guess I'll drop it down the priority queue a little although I am still a little curious so will likely give it a spin at some stage. Thanks for letting us know your experience @bin it's always good to get a heads up. :D
bin

Post by bin »

With October 25 looming I can see that they're possibly trying to tap in to the potentially huge market of folks who would like to get off the M$ adver-go-round and keep using their perfectly good hardware for a few more years. I would not be surprised to see other attempts in the coming months.
Trouble is that then swaps one lock in for another as they'll really only be able to get 'support' from the people that made it. For anyone with experience with linux it's just another UI, but that's not the market here.

Whilst I have no personal experience of this, on the Mint forum there a loads of reports of folks swapping friends/relative to Mint Cinnamon and most of them barely noticing the difference. After all I recall the shock of the switch from W7 to W8 and that was not he end of the world... well in a way it was as it was the end of an era but that's not the point.

A number of the charities that continues to repurpose old laptops and pass then on the communities that need them install............yes you guessed - Mint. Folks just get on and use it.
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

Yes, Mint and I think MxLinux are both pretty good solid replacements, and experienced users have :heart:Debian:heart: of course :D