Windows 11 24H2 wont support pcs older than 15 years

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
crosscourt

Windows 11 24H2 wont support pcs older than 15 years

Post by crosscourt »

Specifically any cpu older than Barcelona with AMD and Core i first gen, wont boot with Win11 24H2. That means Core 2 Duo users will be out of luck but thankfully Core i cpus are supported for now, even if its Win11 unsupported hardware. I run Win11 on third gen i5s and 6th gen i5s, using the workaround included with Rufus, to burn and install Win11 on that hardware. 24H2 will require the cpu must have the POPCNT instruction to work. Its interesting, as so far the more modern but unsupported hardware thats running Win11 thru workarounds, appears to not be a target with Microsoft. With the 24H2 announcement, Microsoft may be looking the other way for now and will later lower the boom on the modern hardware, on the Win11 unsupported list. Win12 isnt releasing this year but my guess is, that when it does, Win11 unsupported hardware workarounds will be stopped.
For now youll be ok at least thru October of 2025, when Win10 stops support but many may pay for three more years of support, making it a very messy Windows OS scenario. Given that Windows market share has dropped overall, we may see some interesting changes in the market, as consumers habits have changed. Chrome OS devices, smartphones, Apple OS devices and even Linux, are pulling away market share from Microsoft, both from the consumer and Enterprise markets.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Re: Windows 11 24H2 wont support pcs older than 15 years

Post by dai_trying »

crosscourt wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:30 amGiven that Windows market share has dropped overall, we may see some interesting changes in the market, as consumers habits have changed. Chrome OS devices, smartphones, Apple OS devices and even Linux, are pulling away market share from Microsoft, both from the consumer and Enterprise markets.
And that is the best news for the general public as it could force Microsoft to re-think their strategy, of course this would depend on whether they can create the same revenue for a smaller userbase which would of course be pleasing to them.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Its remarkable that Windows market share in general is 72%, Apple is 16% with Chrome OS at 2%(that number is actually lower than Ive seen in other articles) and Linux close to 4%( include Chrome OS based on Linux and thats 6%). Based on statistics and analysis from a number of companies, Windows market share by 2030 could be below 60%, Apple at 22%, Chrome OS 10% and Linux 6%(combined thats 16% Linux).
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I'm just happy to be able to buy behind the curve (mostly) hardware at great prices and enjoy Linux for many more years to come.
wove

Post by wove »

I saw a news blurb the other day saying that Windows added "sudo" to its terminal. Does that mean that now instead of of opening the command prompt with "Run as administrator" that you can just open it normally and use "sudo" when needed. I guess overall I do not know Windows well enough to even know if there is a difference between the Windows Terminal and the command prompt. Linux seems so very simple in comparison. :)
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

wove wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:38 pmLinux seems so very simple in comparison. :)
I think that every time I have to do anything in Windows!

I don't know about whether the sudo command works as you suggest, but my guess would be that it is only for WSL, but it is only a guess as I wouldn't install a Windows version of Linux anywhere :lol:
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Sudo in Win11 allows running elevated commands directly from unelevated terminal windows. Its only in the dev builds presently. You have the choice to run the command prompt or Windows terminal in Win11 dev builds.
Site Moderator