Zorin OS 17 released

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Zorin OS 17 released

Post by crosscourt »

This time around users of 16.3 will be able to use the OS update tool rather than having to reinstall.
More here, https://distrowatch.com/12023
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: Zorin OS 17 released

Post by crosscourt »

Please note the OS updater wont have Zorin 17 available for a few weeks. I wasnt aware that it wouldnt be available at release but saw comments on their site from those who tried. Certainly a new install isnt an issue but as always back up your system first.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

The timing of the Zorin update seems odd to me. It is based on Ubuntu 22.04, which is supported for sometime to come, yet it will be updated in 4-5 months. I do not know Zorin's plans, but I would think after Ubuntu gets its LTS update, Zorin would be under some pressure to update to a new base.
bin

Post by bin »

wove wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:34 pm The timing of the Zorin update seems odd to me. It is based on Ubuntu 22.04, which is supported for sometime to come, yet it will be updated in 4-5 months. I do not know Zorin's plans, but I would think after Ubuntu gets its LTS update, Zorin would be under some pressure to update to a new base.
Debian would be a good start....... :lol: :lol: :lol:
wove

Post by wove »

“bin” wrote:Debian would be a good start.......
I think might be too straight forward. I think of Linux distro creation as a variation on Homer Designs A Car
bin

Post by bin »

wove wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:10 pm..... I think of Linux distro creation as a variation on Homer Designs A Car
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Id love to see Zorin move to Debian but given their small dev group, developing a Debian version might not be in the cards. Mints version has been around awhile but hasnt generated as much interest.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Zorin isnt my go to distro as I still prefer to use MX Linux at least for now. Among my Linux using friends, Fedora, Mint and MX Linux are the preferred choices.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Going to wait till I can upgrade 16.3 to 17 to give it a try as I want to see how the OS updater does.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

Most any distro based on Ubuntu 22.04 will boot run and install on my 2008 MBP. I pulled a RAM stick out for another machine, so gave Zorim 17 a shot on the machine that just meets Zorin's minimum hardware requirements.

Zorin was very slow to boot to the live session, but it did boot. It was even slower to install, yet it did install. It booted slowly after the install and chugged away very slowly after the boot. It hung on and ran, although trying to multitask was a real adventure in patience. Web pages loaded, but opening YouTube give you enough time to go make popcorn before it is ready. I tried to watch a video, but I lost all patience and realized this was just not the OS for me.

The impressive thing though is that it ran and while often so slow to seem hung up, it did keep churning and running, without crashing and burning.