Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

OpenMandriva Lx 5.0 released

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: OpenMandriva Lx 5.0 released

Post by crosscourt »

Ill be giving this a try at some point this week and will report back.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Tried a live session on my Dell E6440 and it wouldnt boot at all. Switched to basic graphics mode and tried again but after a really long wait and a lot of black screens with no indication anything was working, it finally booted to the live session. It was using the 6.2 kernel and the most recent KDE version. Chromium and Falkon browsers were installed and a large number of K-apps like Kmail. Overall performance in live session wasnt great but still good enough for testing. No major issues and hardware was seen and installed with no issues. It took repeated tries to login to the wifi connection but eventually it did work.
For now Im going to wait to install as the long wait and slow demeanor of this live session leaves a lot to be desired.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Took the E6440 off the dock and tried the live session again and what a difference. Distro booted with no help and except for the long periods with a black screen giving you no indication that something is happening, it came to the load screen finally and booted. Be patient as it really takes a while for the live session to get going. Very clean KDE desktop that defaults to the cascading menu option. Decent amount of apps installed but not a flood. K-apps are prominent and DNFDragora is the package manager. Network manager worked fine and did see my wifi this time around but asked for my password multiple times.
Tried installing some apps I regularly use but many werent included in the package manager. Installing codecs wasnt an issue and the OpenMandriva welcome center is a nice feature for new user,s with help installing a variety of apps,codecs and features. At this point I doubt Ill actually install it, as it doesnt offer enough for me to use moving forward. Certainly worth giving a look and the iso is around 2.8gb so not too bad but wish it was smaller.
Site Moderator