Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Fedora 39 released

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
wove

Re: Fedora 39 released

Post by wove »

I gave Fedora 39 a quick look yesterday afternoon. I do like Fedora and 39 runs very nicely, but I am becoming more and more dismayed with Gnome. I liked the initial release of Gnome 3, but over time it has just picked up more and more "features" that are pointless in my estimation. I like a very minimalist desktop. I do not want volume controls, clocks, notifications and other distractions. I think a UI should ideally be just and application launcher and an easy way to switch applications. I will probably look at Fedora's KDE spin at some point.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Fedora's KDE spin is going Wayland only which problematic with some of my hardware. I have to say Wayland has improved but as my only choice, it depends on the age/type of my hardware.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I just cant get into Gnome as hard as Ive tried. Gnome Shell with Zorin is as close as Ive come to using it regularly. KDE is still my preferred DE overall.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I did install Fedora 39 KDE spin. It is a very nice for the most part straight forward release of KDE's upstream plasma release. It does default to using Wayland, but you can select an X11 session at login.

The one really odd thing I encountered is that as soon as I rebooted after the install I was greeted with an update notification. The update was 500+ packages totalling 2.5 GB. The update was about the same size as the iso download. I would hope they publish an updated installer. Fedora is hoping to have the 5.6 kernel ready for install in about a week.

KDE creates a nice focused workflow and with minimal tweeking I find it a simple GUI to work in. I am dismayed that KDE has been neglecting many applications that I really like, but they have been coming around. I find Elisa a nice music player and Konqueror has turned into a pretty first rate browser for my needs.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thats exactly how I feel about KDE but if you do want to tweak it and do a lot more customizing, thats still possible and easy to do. I use Clementine/Audacious as music players amd Firefox continues to be my favorite browser.
Site Moderator