Wifi support

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Wifi support

Post by crosscourt »

I find it interesting that Feren and Zorin cannot detect any of my wifi USB cards, except for the Mediatek based ones. These are both Ubuntu based distros and should be able to spot these older ac wifi cards. That said, MX Linux and Q4OS have no issues at all spotting all my wifi cards, and are Debian based distros. This pattern holds true with many of my other distros I test. I had the same issue with Linux Mint Cinnamon versus Linux Mint LMDE as the Ubuntu based version didnt see them and the Debian based distro did.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: Wifi support

Post by crosscourt »

I retested with KDE Neon and PCLinuxOS and still couldnt get the wifi USN adapters to work. In OS like Feren and Mint the driver update feature doesnt offer any additional drivers.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive been testing Mediatek based wifi usb adapters like the Netgear A6210 with various distros and so far it works on anything I throw at it. Many adapters say they are Linux plug and play but its really not the case. I want to see what people can use that will work right out of the box with most Linux distros.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Something changed with Q4OS as one of my USB ac wifi adapters no longer works, nor is it seen. Still works with MX Linux but typically only the Mediatek based USB wifi adapters will work most of the time.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

After an update, Feren OS no longer sees any of my USB wifi adapters. I had the same issue with Debian and Q4OS but MX Linux sees them just fine.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The built in wifi cards with my Dell e6440 laptops had no issues at all even though these are systems from 2013-2014.
Site Moderator