Chainsaw repair

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
CaptNoize

Chainsaw repair

Post by CaptNoize »

This is about as far from computer science as the moon. I have an old McCullough Mac 110 chainsaw. My father bought it back in the late 70's or early 80's. It ran amazingly for nearly 50 years without a glitch. I have always been a person who did maintenance on my tools,vehicles and home. That's why I get longevity out my stuff. However, about a month ago, I needed to do some pruning,and found it wouldn't start. After watching a few hours of repair videos on YouTube, I jumped into the repair. Suffice it to say, after several hours, I was able to repair the saw. Many said to me over the years,I should buy a Stihl or Husquavarna, but this functioned fine, for all this time. What a P.I.T.A. it is to work on these..!!!😠😠😕 But, once you get to know how to disassemble them, it becomes easier.
It's weird working on electronics in my shop, then changing it to working on small engines. I can assure you that it helps with removing depression...!😁 And for me, reviving things that don't work, is an achievement I really enjoy..!😁
wove

Re: Chainsaw repair

Post by wove »

I believe I purchased that same chainsaw (or very similar) back around then. Indeed they are reliable. I do not really feel up to chain sawing anymore, so I passed it over to my son, who still uses it. I agree that fiddling about and fixing stuff, any stuff-it just does not matter, is very relaxing and enjoyable. There is something nicely rewarding about identifying a problem, sorting it out, then getting rid of the problem. And I think that goes double when you are doing the puttering around in your own shop, using your own tools.

Every now and again it is nice to prove (even if only to yourself) that you are still worthwhile :)
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

I've owned my speaker repair business for over 30 years. When I first started, I was very busy,and had 2 people working with me. However, over the years, due to the change in technology, and the sheer fact of companies going the way of the dinosaur, my weekly work changed dramatically. I ended up losing my employees, and having to find a full-time job with the government, and now, my shop is just an occasional thing, now that I have retired.
It's sometimes tough, since my friends are all deceased, especially my best friend, who worked with me in the shop for over 20 years.
All I see now... Are ghosts.....:cry:
Last edited by CaptNoize on Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

My mom warned me when I was much younger how things would change and how your life gets more narrow. I was still not prepared for the huge change that would occur losing friends and family, and adjusting to a much different life experience. Ghosts is exactly right.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

She was exactly right. And now, with Holidays approaching, it's tougher.
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

So, being that I was looking for a case for this chainsaw, I went on Ebay and started looking. I found a case, that looked brand new,but, it had the same saw with it, for sale. The seller was asking only $35 plus $20 for shipping. I really didn't want another saw(I already have 2) but, the price was right, and I thought, what's to loose..? The saw showed up, in the case, without the bar,and chain. It was stated that it didn't run, and didn't have a bar and chain. It also was missing the plastic brake handle. No big deal, there's tons of the hand brake handles on Ebay. I was surprised at how nice of condition the case, and saw, where in. The saw, literally, looked new..! :shock: so did the case..! Since I had just worked on my saw, I was able to have this saw disassembled in 15 minutes..! :lol: Whoever owned this tried to fix it. They neglected to rebuild the carburetor, and check the points. Someone had cleaned this internally, so, it was easy to work on. I rebuilt the carb, set the points,( they weren't opening at all) put it back together, and it started on the first pull..!! :D :D I ended up buying a new 14" bar, chain and brake handle . I'm ready to be Paul Bunyan... :roll: :evil: :shock: