Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Linux Mint 6 LMDE released

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
bin

Re: Linux Mint 6 LMDE released

Post by bin »

Planning to switch over to LMDE. I've had enough of MX in particular and XFCE in general - and that's despite having used XFCE for years and years. Same old UI bugs just not fixed.....nothing serious but just annoying.
Cinnamon is not without its issues, but so far testing it seems OK apart from the silly amount of RAM it uses - but I've got enough for that.
We shall see - I may yet have to eat my words - time will tell.
I've had to fiddle around a bit in LMDE to get updates applying automatically when I want them rather than when mintupdate wants them - and of course having to run an automatic on boot update for mintupdate every day because it cannot update itself.....but hey that's just the fun part.
wove

Post by wove »

Just out of curiosity why did you pick LMDE over just using Debian with the Cinnamon DE?
bin

Post by bin »

wove wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:29 am Just out of curiosity why did you pick LMDE over just using Debian with the Cinnamon DE?
Cinnamon is much more reliable than it used to be, but is still undergoing development and bug fixing. The Cinnamon components in LMDE are actively updated as part of the development cycle from the main Ubuntu based Mint release, so effectively you get updates to the DE twice a year. Not always so with the standard Debian + Cinnamon.
It's a bit of a leap of faith - apart from a couple of years with Gnome 2 or Q4OS/Trinity I've been using XFCE since forever, when the bottom panel still looked like CDE.
wove

Post by wove »

I follow that logic. I appreciated bug fix updates. Sometimes feature updates, are more annoying than helpful. I did not know that XFCE started being like CDE, and maybe if I knew that back when, I would have looked more closely at XFCE. I keep a VM of Solaris 9 going just to use CDE. CDE as far as I know is the only DE that has an iso standard. There is an open source CDE, but the commercial variant is still available and updated. I know of nothing that uses CDE, but it is readily available for all the BSDs.

I will interested in hearing your observations on the XFCE to Cinnoman transition.
bin

Post by bin »

wove wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:59 pm .........I did not know that XFCE started being like CDE, and maybe if I knew that back when, I would have looked more closely at XFCE.........
https://www.linux.co.cr/desktops/review ... /help.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xfce

These days if you want to get close then there's NsCDE https://www.phoronix.com/news/NsCDE-2.3-Released

I've tried it and it's not bad!

Enjoy :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Mint LMDE is a very polished Cinnamon experience and better than others I have tried.
Site Moderator
bin

Post by bin »

crosscourt wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:18 pm Mint LMDE is a very polished Cinnamon experience and better than others I have tried.
What bothers me with Cinnamon is that it actually runs a process that monitors memory use (by Cinnamon) and then restarts Cinnamon if it gets beyond a set figure.
To me that sounds like some sort of inherent race condition or some other bug they haven't fixed........
We shall see. :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive heard the same issues with other distros using Cinnamon such as Feren OS when I used that version yet I had no issues at all with memory use that I couold tell. I still prefer KDE over Cinnamon but its a nice DE that offers a great experience.
Site Moderator