Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

KaOS 2023.09 released

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
wove

Re: KaOS 2023.09 released

Post by wove »

This release is a refresh of the July release with current software updates and patches. It adds no new features. KaOS is a strange distro to me. It uses the XFS file system, I guess because it is the oldest file system that is still actively maintained. I think they also use it because it works with UNIX and the project has talked for years about moving to using the OpenIndiana (Solaris) kernel.

It is strictly for X86-64 hardware, only supporting the Plasma desktop. In normal usage it is similar to Arch using Pacman for the package manager. Much like Endeavour OS it something of an easy to install Arch system. It is lightening fast and very efficient with system resources. It also tends to support most hardware configurations right out of the box. It does have and maintian its own repositories.

While being very focused on following the latest upstream software, it does come with a unique theme, which I do not personally find very attractive or useful and it is built on top of a theme engine, which makes it a bit fiddly to get back to the KDE Breeze themes.

My big reason for following along with KaOS is waiting to see if they do perhaps head off in a more UNIX like direction. The forums are about as friendly as the Arch forums. Although not strictly being Arch, the Arch wiki information typically works with KaOS as well. You can use Arch's AUR and they have modified many of the AUR formulas to work with KaOS. There is also something of a primitive GUI package manager/installer as well.