Garmin Express Downloader

Discussion of software apps
CaptNoize

Garmin Express Downloader

Post by CaptNoize »

I have a Garmin Nuvi 1450. It works great, but I need to update it. I have a lifetime subscription to update it for free, but Garmin doesn't work with Linux :roll: I did a websearch, and found Linux Mint, using Wine,( I use MX) will download maps and info onto the Garmin. Does anyone know how to do this...?? :shock:
crosscourt

Re: Garmin Express Downloader

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

Thanks, CC
That seems like a real P.I.T.A. to try to get Linux to recognize my Garmin. If you read the comments at the end,a user,even after all the set up code writing, it still didn't work for him. I might just wait till I can use my friends laptop with winblows on it, to upgrade this stupid Garmin. :roll: :evil: :x
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Some did get it to work but if you have a friends laptop with Windows Id just do that.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I had an old TomTom sat nav that needed updating and found there was a download available but had to use Windows for the update, it's one of the reasons I always have a machine (or two) dual booted with Windows. It's the unfortunate necessary evil of computing IMO.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I have to say that Zorin has the best process for installing Windows related apps(OS makes sure everything is there thats needed to install app) Ive ever used and so far its worked very well. I havent tried it with Garmin Express though.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

I tried to install Garmin Express today. I did exactly what the video said, yet, it won't run Garmin Express to install it. I will go back later,and see what I did wrong, but, I don't think I did do something wrong. How hard can it be to copy and paste..??? Any suggestions..? I actually went on Garmins site , and downloaded the file. I clicked on it but I don't see any install button.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I tried it on MX Linux and it was a no go. Zorin is setup to install Windows apps thru an auto install feature that doesnt require user input using Wine. I downloaded Garmin Express and it started to install but required Microsoft .Net Framework. Zorin tried to install it but simply couldnt get it to work. Zorin is the best distro Ive ever used for installing Windows apps and this is the first time ive had an issue.
Youre going to need to do this from a Windows system, such as your friends laptop.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

Yes, I agree. I give up. Garmin sucks. And so does Microflop.😤😤
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Its mostly Garmin as they openly said in their own forums that they didnt see why they should support Linux.
Site Moderator