A Tough Year So Far

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
CaptNoize

A Tough Year So Far

Post by CaptNoize »

I really, can't take another year like this. So far, I 've lost 6 friends, in the short period of 7 months. One, was my best friend,I met him when I was 17. I'm 63... That's 46 years. He was the drummer in my band. His playing style was somewhere between Tommy Aldridge, and Neil Peart. I also lost 2 singers that I had worked with. I also lost a high school friend to alcoholism, in May. What a trip..... And to top it all off the anniversary of my Father's death is coming up on the 28th.
Needless to say, I am wrestling with alot of darkness, and depression. However, I'm trying to stay busy, and focused on home repairs, and getting things ready for Winter. I 've tried talking with different people about these issues, but, they really don't care, or don't want to hear about it. They have their own problems. I 'll just keep plugging away. It's all I can do...
wove

Re: A Tough Year So Far

Post by wove »

Sorry to hear about your losses and depressing year. A dark time is understandable and painful to endure. Sadness should pass with time but depression can be harder to shake. Depression is common as one gets older. Friends are so often the first source and perhaps the best source to one get out of a funk. It is a real bummer though that as you get older friends will fall away.

There are other resources to help with long term depression and darkness. Unfortunately we are part of a generation that generally shy away from looking for or using such resources. I hope you are able to move on from your funk and find a more tranquil place.
crosscourt

Re: A Tough Year So Far

Post by crosscourt »

I saw my moms world narrow as her friends and family passed away. When I was younger my mom warned me that someday you'll experience the same thing. It started in 2008 with my wife's mom and its accelerated. with the most recent being my wife's brother who passed away. My bosses from my tennis days are all dead, along with many of my friends. I have almost no friends any more but at least we still have family but many have passed.
I totally understand where you're coming from and Ive also been having depression issues. I try to focus on the here and now, do things I enjoy when possible and not dwell on the past too much. except for the good things. Its tough as I live in the town where I met my wife and went to high school, so its a lot like you, as we experience all those things locally. Its also nice though to be able to walk around places Ive been before and share some good memories. I try to live my life as best as possible to honor those who have passed and live to the fullest, because that's what they would want me to do.
Id talk to someone about your depression and I do online therapy with a private group Ive been with for years. The County has counseling services and I took advantage of it. I still have a lot of issues and they affect my life, as I haven't gotten my eye surgery yet, because of Covid and my depression issues. Don't let it take control and do get some help but Ive made some changes in my life and it seems to be helping. I hope things work out for you but no, you and I will never be quite the same, but we'll be ok.
Site Moderator