Having nothing but problems with AMD drivers/hardware

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Having nothing but problems with AMD drivers/hardware

Post by crosscourt »

This is Windows related but AMD drivers are just terrible. Many features still dont work, compatibility in both older and newer games isnt good and Windows has issues with the drivers and tries to install the WHQL driver right over them, but thats actually AMD's fault. Power usage issues, performance issues and some graphical quality issues. Im presently using a RX 6600 but went back to my GTX 1660 super tonite for gaming and what a difference. Its not as fast as the RX6600 but everything else works much better and the overall graphical quality is much higher. No driver issues and Windows isnt having any issues with the drivers. Id be curious to hear from anyone else whos had some problems with AMD drivers.
Just got finished playing a few hours of Dungeon Siege a game from 1999 and it runs very well on the 1660 super and graphics are fine. RX6600 thats another story as the drivers simply dont seem to be able to adjust or optimize like the Nvidia drivers. Using the most recent drivers for both cards yet the Nvidia card works extremely well in older games but also looks incredible in games like Mechwarrior 5 Mercenaries. I almost thought it was a different game given how differently and better Mech 5 looked with the 1660 super. Ill post back nce Ive used it more with other games.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: Having nothing but problems with AMD drivers/hardware

Post by crosscourt »

Most recent AMD drivers have improved things a lot in Mechwarrior 5 but for older games still the Nvidia cards are better. Im running Heretic 2 and the opengl32 option in the game runs very well with the Nvidia card but isnt real happy with the AMD card. It pays sometimes to keep at least one older card of the type that suits the older games you play.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Heretic 2, Dungeon Siege 1-2, and Heretic are just a few examples of older games that dont like AMD drivers. I ended up switching over to a GTX 1660 super even though it doesnt run my newer games quite as well. It does run my older games very well and in particular supports opengl32 with no issues. Some of the remales of the original Doom for instance have solved those issues but many games arent going to see remakes and its I need the gpu to cooperate. I run far more older games than I do newer games or esports/AAA titles.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Picked up another 1660 super gpu for the other system as this will work for now until I can figure out what to do about the other gpu.
Site Moderator