Thunderbid 115 Supernova is here!

Discussion of software apps
bin

Re: Thunderbid 115 Supernova is here!

Post by bin »

chris wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:58 am Perhaps you already know this, but:

Do you have toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets option set to *true* in *Config editor*?

Do you have these namespace defs at the top of userChrome.css

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gateke ... s.only.xul");
@namespace html url("http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml");

This newsgroup: alt.comp.software.thunderbird has a lot of moaning about Thunderbird, but also has a lot of (seemingly) knowlegeable posters in it.
Thanks for that - tried with various css suggestions on there but makes no difference whatsoever on Debian based 115.4 :cry:
I've tried with userChrome.css in various locations within the .thunderbird folder - puzzled.....
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

On Windows I installed an older version of Thunderbird then updated to 115 to avoid issues.
Site Moderator
bin

Post by bin »

After a bit of fiddling I now have Evolution behaving as I would like it.

Portability 100% - built in backup tool - just restores itself to where you were in new installation - no messing with profiles etc. Oh yes and the integration with Google Calendar actually works. No more finding out that Tbird extensions have stopped working due to a point release either!

Thunderbird - so long and I'm not missing you!
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

No thanks, Ill stick with Thunderbird. My last experience with Evolution was with Zorin OS and I had many issues connecting with certain accounts and error messages at times. Ive never had those issues with Thunderbird and it works with all my accounts.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

Evolution I believe started as a commerical product. It was included in my first install of Suse along with Star Office. Evolution provided mail merge along with other features to Star Office. As near as I can tell the Evolution UI has not been updated since the application first appeared. It is very long in the tooth.

The power of Evolution is the backend Evolution Data Server, which Gnome uses for all of its PIM applications. If you have Evolution configured, you can install Geary, Contacts, and Calendar and all of them will use the Evolution configuration. And as @bin notes it is easy to backup and move the configuration from OS to OS, even if moving from Linux to BSD.

I have never been a fan of the way it looks, but it is as solid an application as one can find and once all configured it can just keep moving forward for decades.
bin

Post by bin »

In terms of appearance - this is what it looks like today.
Not a million miles from tbird 78 era.
evolution.png
evolution.png (73.26 KiB) Viewed 894 times
The one big plus for me is the way it handles replies to HTML messages.
In Tbird if I reply to an email from Outlook 365 and also some webmail systems, Tbird always picks up the font from the message - which invariably looks horrid in Tbird to start with.

In Evolution it just ignores it and does what I want - anyway horses for courses. :D
wove

Post by wove »

“bin” wrote: horses for courses
I had not come across that phrase before and had to look it up. Maybe more a UK thing than a US thing?

Evolution does not look bad. It has looked the same for as long as I can remember though. The world has me conditioned to think every style should change on at least a yearly basis. :( I have a hand saw that has been passed down through four generations of family, that looks and works just like a hand saw I purchased a decade ago, and I am fine with that. So thinking Evolution needs a new UI, is just me being silly. :)
chris

Post by chris »

If more developers would take care of back-end problems and bugs and leave the UI alone, software would be better. Looking at you Microsoft and Mozilla.
bin

Post by bin »

wove wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:34 pm .......So thinking Evolution needs a new UI, is just me being silly. :)
Well, actually they HAVE revamped the UI - very slightly - I don't know if it was in response to Tbird (unlikely) or because it's GNOME ("If it ain't broke - break it")
It's only a bit of CSD rubbish and one command fixes it - not sure for how long of course! :lol:
wove

Post by wove »

I have Evolution on Endless and it works well. It is setup because using Gnome's Online Accounts settings, just set it up. Endless is still based on Bullseye, which has no trouble with the NextCloud Certificates. Fedora 39 and Bookworm just refuse to work with the NextCloud Certificates.

So I have had no luck getting Kontact to work with Fedora 39's KDE spin. On a lark, I installed Evolution and boom, bing, bang, Evolution had no trouble connecting to NextCloud. I may have to re evaluate all my thinking on Evolution and whether or not I use it.