crosscourt

Thunderbid 115 Supernova is here!

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
chris

Re: Thunderbid 115 Supernova is here!

Post by chris »

I tried it!
Doesn't like my stored passwords. Won't store any new passwords until secmod.db is deleted.
Overall, UI is a bit ropey.
Gone back to TBird52. It does everything how I like (or have got used to) it.
Various add-ons just don't exist any more - e.g. AdBlock Plus/Element Hider, Thunderbrowse - makes what normally appears in external browser appear in mail window. Compact Header.
Over on alt.comp.software.thunderbird there are a lot of folks utilising userChrome.css / user.js to put things back as they were; menu bar, tool bar positioning.
Why do developers have to mess with the UI, before fixing faults?
wove

Post by wove »

The Thunderbird release notes said that this was released to the public, but they would not be making it an upgrade for a bit until they got feedback and bug reports so they could fix any last minute unnoticed issue that popped up could be cleared up. At which point in the near future it could be released as an upgrade. Their suggestion was to wait until the flatpak was released. They did encourage users to use the flatpak version, since it was created and maintained by the developers.

Years back everything was done to increase the features on software, it slowly seemed to change to the focus on the UI. It would be nice in the future to see a balance between the features and the UI. I truly do not like a hard to use UI, but that annoyance pales compared to malfunctioning and unstable features.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im going to wait a bit and see how it goes but early reviews are very positive and Ill probably install it on Linux first before Windows.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Has anyone tried 115 yet, just curious as I havent tried it yet.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

It is available as a flatpak and I installed it in Bookworm. It seemed to me like the same old Thunderbird, just a new skin. I was not able to get it access my NextCloud, which I believe is a problem with Debian generally. I do not like the way that Thunderbird puts news feeds into email portion of the interface. For me it just messes up the email and newsfeed portion of the interface. Also I do not really like tabbed interfaces, which appears to be the way Thunderbird likes to work. Neither the email/newsfeeds nor the tabbed interface have changed in the new version of Thunderbird. So in the end, like I do every time I try Thunderbird, I end up just deleting it.

The interface is not overly different from other applications of that type. Evolution is similar and I find it clunky and hard to use as well. I tried MS Outlook at one point and oh my god, it is rare to encounter an application with so much complexity build in to do what are really very simple tasks. My favorite remains Kontact. I like the way the individual components can be used as separate applications and even when combined into the Kontact interface they retain their own identity and preferences.
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

I just use my internet server email. I started having problems with Thunderbird back in January. It wasn't sending my emails, and it was saving them to my draft file. I just cut to the chase and go directly on my internet email. Problem solved. :roll:
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

MY ISP email is great but its clunky to access versus using Thunderbird. I havent had any issues with Thunderbird at all, as its been very stable and great to use.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

Mine is saved to my bookmark bar on Firefox,on my Yahoo, so it's just a click and it's open. Mine isn't cluncky at all.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

My ISP its a bit more difficult to do that so Thunderbird is a great help.
Site Moderator