Upping storage

Discussion of hardware related issues
wove

Upping storage

Post by wove »

The downside of putting bigger drives in your machines is that then you have to get bigger drives for backups. I have a nice external case, that has ports for Firewire 800, USB and eSATA and it has worked as a backup drive for about a decade. I wanted to get a 2TB drive for it to increase its storage, but they have been more than I cared to spend.

The other day while checking prices on 2TB drives, I noticed that 2TB external backup drives were about half the price of the 2TB internal drives, so I bought a new external backup drive. Glancing through the list of available external backup drives I noticed that all the external drives at about all the various sizes were about 1/2 the price of an internal drives. That seems odd. I would think that the external backup drives must have internal drives inside them.

The backup drive I purchased is a Toshiba Canvio. It only have a USB(3.1) A connector, which will connect to most I have. It backed up about 550GB from the T580 in around an hour, incremental backups in the future will be much faster.

As I have retired a couple 250GB drives after replacing them with bigger drives. I have repurposed them for data storage. One for pictures, one for documents, one for music etc. I format them as exFat which can be read by everything I have and can also handle data files over 4GB, which is sometimes needed for video files. I have SATA to USB adaptors and use them like oversized thumb drives. Being 2.5" drives they are large enough to put a nice big label on them to list the contents.
crosscourt

Re: Upping storage

Post by crosscourt »

Im using 2tb nvme ssds in many of my systems and I tend to back them up using either older 2tb spinning drives or 2.5 sata ssds. Used 2tb spin drives are cheap and occasionally you see new drives for cheap . 2tb nvme ssds are around $65-70 which amazes given what I paid for some in the past. The 2tb spin drives I picked up were about $25 each but Im at the point where I simply dont use spin drives much anymore. Once youve used ssds theres no going back. I keep external cases on hand to use but also use the Sata to USB adapters like thumb drives. 2.5 drives are really nice except the spin versions are really slow.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

With all the changes in storage, Im still amazed how reliable spinning drives are, as Ive got 15 year old drives that still work well.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I have rarely ever experienced any problems with spinning hard drives. The external 2TB backup drive I just purchased is a spinning drive. It handles data incoming and outgoing over USB at an acceptable rate. The first full system backup took about an hour, and incremental backups done a couple times a week, take about 15 minutes. I am very content with its performance.