Major hardware cleanout

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Major hardware cleanout

Post by crosscourt »

Started it earlier this week and ive just accumulated too much stuff. The older hardware is going along with accumulated parts and accessories. With my overall downsizing to less laptops, smaller mini pcs and just two desktops things are quite a bit easier. Its going to take awhile but Im looking forward to having more living space and room in my closets.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: Major hardware cleanout

Post by crosscourt »

Lots of loads of stuff I took down to the trash and even I was amazed how much older stuff I had lying around. Stage 1 is done, but now I have to destroy some har drives and go thru other items piece by piece by and decide what survives.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

It would be nice to haul my unused electronics to the trash. Minnesota will fine you for throwing electronics in the trash. I imagine a lot does get hidden in the trash, but you are suppose to take it to a certified recycler to ensure it does not endup in a landfill. Around here certified recyclers charge ±$8/lb.

Some stuff you can get rid of for free. The phone retailers have to take old phones, battery sellers have to take old batteries, and electronics retailers have to take your old device when you buy a new device. I tear items down to their separate parts, the metal and wiring can be put it regular recycling, plastics can to thrown in the garbage. some plastic casing is recyclable. Certified recyclers generally take plain circuit boards for free. That leaves only wall warts, power supplies, and lcd panels needing to be paid for.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

We have a bulk service and scrappers that pick up on the property. You put out the hardware and they come and take it away. Most ends up with recyclers or even gets resold by local swap shops. You can also take it to the landfill that has a electonics area but theres no charge for county residents.
Site Moderator