COMBAT CHRONICLE

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
CaptNoize

COMBAT CHRONICLE

Post by CaptNoize »

I usually get really depressed about this time every year, since it was twenty-five years ago my father took ill,in June, and died in August. That whole summer of 1998,was spent, watching him suffer,then dying on August 28th. I decided,after all this time, I would go thru his WWII stuff, and see what part of Germany he fought in. He never spoke about what he went thru, only briefly at times.
I found his combat chronicle, and where he served. He was in the 76th Infantry,and at 21 years old, found himself in Nazi occupied Belgium Feb. 1945. He was with them when they breached the Siegfried Line, the Battle at the Katzenkopf Fortress, Irrel , and the house to house, street to street, combat at Kamberg, and finally taking the city of Zeitz in a bloody,violent struggle April 14-15,1945. They then supported the 89th infantry division, in the liberation of Buchenwald concentration camp. He never really discussed any of this with me, and I actually think, he had PTSD. When I read his account of this, I cried, because I never knew what he went thru. All I can say is, I will NEVER be 1/2 the man he was....
Gone,.... But Not Forgotten...and Sadly Missed
crosscourt

Re: COMBAT CHRONICLE

Post by crosscourt »

Your father serving in the 76th-INF was part of General Patton's Third Army, thats pretty amazing. The 76th doesnt exist anymore since 1996 but was one of the few all civilian units that began in WWI and continued thru WWII.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

My father spoke of General Patton often. He was totally impressed with him..! He always said if Truman would have listened to Patton,the world wouldn't be in the shape it's in now.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

If Truman had listened to Patton and Macarthur Korea and Russia wouldnt have been issues at least we would have hoped.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

Patton had passed away before Truman became president.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thats not correct as Patton died on 12/21/1945 and Truman became President on 4/12/1945 due to FDRs death. Patton actually had discussions with Truman informally according to sources at that time.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

Sorry about that. For some reason (age?) I was thinking Truman became President in April 45, while Patton had passed about a month after the Buldge. There is a YouTube video of their meeting. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU7P7lD5olw> Old news reel footage, that does not cover the specifics of their meeting.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thanks for the link to the news reel. Truman actually liked Patton but was never enamoured with Macarthur.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

Many times I wondered about what my father did, and now, I put myself in his situation, and ponder if I could have done that. During my life, I was in alot of alterations and fights, (I was bullied when I was a child,since I was small,waifish) but I grew up tough, and resilient.
But going into those " meat grinders " would take someone with way more courage,and bravery, than I. This is " Why " I totally respect any and all Veterans of this country. God Bless America..!😁
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

People back then were very different than most today. The level of responsibility and courage was higher and honestly I dont think I would have had half the fortitude they did. It was something that came to mind with 30 days to go before I was going to be drafted for Vietnam. I got my affairs n order and gave my fiancee control of my life till I got back. The draft was dropped and I didnt have to go but thinking about your father made me wonder about how I would have handled it.
Site Moderator