RHEL dropping LibreOffice

Discussion of software apps
wove

RHEL dropping LibreOffice

Post by wove »

I read about this today. RedHat will no longer be packaging LibreOffice for RHEL. They indicated they would help with transitioning LibreOffice for install via flatpak. Although it is just speculation at this point, most seem to think this will result in LibreOffice being dropped from Fedora as well. The system steering committee does not allow the inclusion of flatpaks in the installers. So unless that changes end users would need to install LibreOffice on their own after installing the system. (Overall that confuses me, because in the case of SilverBlue, all the software comes from flatpaks.)

From what I gathered RedHat wants to move more resources to working on HDR and color management. HDR and color management are a weak point with wayland and I have always understood that some of RedHat's biggest clients are in Hollywood, especially in animation and special effects. I know just personally I would find color management support in Linux to be very useful.
crosscourt

Re: RHEL dropping LibreOffice

Post by crosscourt »

Do you have a link for the topic you posted?
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thanks! :D
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im so use to installing an office suite I prefer such as FreeOffice, its not really a big issue.
Site Moderator