HP Victus 15L gaming desktop

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

HP Victus 15L gaming desktop

Post by crosscourt »

Its a cheap gaming system that I got new for $399. Uses the Ryzen 5600g apu and came with a Radeon RX6400 video card , 8gb of ram and a 512gb NVme ssd. Wanted a system that was closer to my Alienware cpu wise and oddly enough the motherboard in the HP wasnt that different from the Alienware mobo.
I added my RX6600 gpu to it with 32gb of ram, 2tb Crucial P3 NVme ssd but had some case issues. Its a really cheap case and bends easily and wasnt that large to begin with. GPU ports were too close to the slot ribs so I had to cut one out to make it work, GPU was also a bit too tall so had to do some creative bending to get it to work and still get the case cover back on. The case doesnt allow any ventilation but they do have a partially perforated side panel that helps, but will need to come up with a way to cool a bit more. APU doesnt run real hot thankfully and even with a stress test using HeavyLoad it didnt break 77C. Power supply is a bit anemic at 350w but the APU and GPU dont pull more than 185w so it should be fine. The case appearance isnt too bad and they have this mirrored RGB on the front of the case in the letter V that can be set to other colors for what its worth. For a entry level gaming system or a cheap productivity system its actually a great deal and you can run the system without a video card using the 5600g APU entirely.
The Gaming hub they include in the system is pretty nice software as you can actively check system vitals like temp on CPU/GPU and adjust some aspects of the system like network performance and fan speeds.
The one mistake I made was, my intention wqas to use my Ryzen 5600x from my system that dies and initially I thought the Victus could use it, only to find out toolate that it couldnt, so the 5600g would have to do, Its close enough that it shouldnt be an issue.
Ill post back once Ive used the system more.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: HP Victus 15L gaming desktop

Post by crosscourt »

After getting some tweaks done the system is running really well. For $399 for what I use it for, its almost a perfect choice for anyone who wants to get into gaming or does office/light productivity work.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

After using a Radeon RX6600 initially I found the graphics a bit lacking even though the speed of the card is realy good. Ive gone back to a Geforce GTX 1660 Super and the difference particularly in Mechwarrior 5 was huge. Nvidia drivers are just better and offer a better visual experience even with an older card like the 1660. My wife is enjoying the Dell 8940 XPS system as its the first major upgrade shes had in quite awhile.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Its interesting as the AMD Radeon drivers when installed on this system simply dont allow access to the settings of the Radeon. The Adrenalin software app cannot be found yet it works fine on my other systems. Nvidia drivers install fine and all settings can be accessed. I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that Im using a Ryzen 5 5600G which is an APU, but havent found any answers.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

For those of you using HP Victus gaming desktops with Ryzen cpu/gpus, make sure you disable the gpu portion then install your Radeon drivers and your software settings will work just fine. RX6600 is running much better with access to its settings.
Site Moderator