Fedora 38 released

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Re: Fedora 38 released

Post by crosscourt »

Heres my first niggles with Fedora SilverBlue which Ill refer to as FSB. Minimize/maximize doesnt hold even after Ive indicated it to be the default with an app. Thunderbird when you launch sits there and does nothing and you end up launching it again and it finally comes up but isnt holding the maximized screen.
External USB adapters is a mixed bag. It recognizes most of my adapters that arent seen in Zorin which has an older kernel. The issue with FSB is the wifi cuts out suddenly and you need to start it back up and the speed varies wildly out of the blue. I tested with ethernet so its not the router and my laptop has no issues as well with wifi. It appears the wifi adapter isnt powering down due to power saving as I confirmed thats not the case. I have to say that overall FSB is a far better experience than Ive had in the past with other versions of Fedora. It also though is the same pattern of having niggling issues with a new version that I dont experience say with other distros when I first used it.
Lets see if this gets cleaned up over time.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

FSB doesnt auto detect the ethernet connection(it sees it but doesnt react to it) even on a desktop with no wifi connection. I installed FSB with an external wifi adapter but once you attach ethernet it doesnt auto change to i,t as so many other distros do. If I disconnect wifi completely it sees the ethernet but makes you turn it on, or in the case you leave wifi connected you must turn it off then turn on ethernet. Its a mixed bag and certainly not a major issue but its very different from distros such as Zorin and MX Linux.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

As far as I know that has been standard Fedora networking behavior. If you have a preference as to which you wish to use, you can select to have it auto start (I think it can auto start when the system powers on, or when you log in.) It is a multi user system, so different users might have different networking preferences or needs. This is probably more useful in an office environment, than a single home user, but when kids come over after school, they do have their own account/playground on the computer, and their network configuration has a tighter firewall setup with the router set to block ports they do not need to be accessing. I guess I am just use to that behavior and it makes solid sense to me. Personally I would not want the system to be changing network connections or configurations unless I specifically told it to do so.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

For home use particularly when theres only one device active the OS should enable and use that internet device, particularly ethernet. Its not a right or wrong thing for me, just different from what Ive experienced with other distros. Most of the distros Ive used prioritize ethernet over wifi and wifi is the one that needs to be turned on. Again I view this from a mainstream users perspective who are use to Windows and other mainstream Linux distros.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I guess I do not understand the push on mainstream and why that is a good thing for Linux. Linux and MacOS now have about the same user share. You never (or very very rarely) ever hear a Mac user complain that Mac does not work like Windows or imply that if MacOS were more like Windows it would be more popular. What MacOS and Linux do share is both have a very dedicated and committed user base. I think in the end that is much more important to the success of the platform than its popularity or its numbers.

I think the great advantages to Linux are that, one you are pushed toward learning about the system and two, it encourages and can even enforce "best practices". Losing or diminishing either of those strengths would in my opinion be a huge loss. I think overall Linux is doing rather well. While 10-15 years ago very few messed with Linux, and may were not even sure what it was, today most people have heard of it, and most people working in the computer field have a basic working familiarity with Linux.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

My comments werent directed to a deeper discussion on mainstream use. My comments are about having devices ready to use when I turn on my pc no matter the OS. My desktop doesnt have wifi, just ethernet and when I start my system I have to enable ethernet rather than it turning on by itself, but the system does see it. Its not a big deal but Zorin, MX Linux ,Mint and Windows do enable ethernet at startup and ready to use. For instance in SilverBlue I enable ethernet then I do updates and restart. When the system comes back up it doesnt remember the ethernet was enabled and I have to turn it on again. This is just simple everyday expectations that users expect from their OS. Ive used Fedora in the past 27-29 comes to mind and those versions did see and turn on internet devices by default. My expectations are that when i use one system over and over again that it will enable devices its already familiar with. If you look at this from a wider perspective, all users want their experience to be seamless and thus the mainstream approach is the simple stuff should just work. Zorin/Mint does a very good job with this overall and this is what will attract a lot more users to Linux.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The Gnome version of SilverBlue just has too many small niggles so will be trying Fedora Kinoite instead. Fedora also has a Budgie DE version of SilverBlue called Onyx.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Installed Kinoite and there are many problems. Printer and wifi were not detected versus the Gnome version which had no issues. There are many issues with themes and appearance settings. Biggest issue is Discover as your source for Flatpak apps. Discover has some issues and is not a reliable source for those apps to install versus the Gnome version. Im not going toi get into a huge amount of detail given how poor this experience was with Kinoite.
Gnome version is far more polished and has far fewer issues overall if you can get use to the fact that it does things quite differently. There are a few extensions that actually help but the Gnome version I would recommend but not Kinoite. Even the choice io default installed apps with Kinoite was not what I expected versus the Gnome version.
Ill continue using the Gnome version and try to get use to it. I will say though that Kinoite did detect my ethernet and enabled it which the Gnome version does not.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Really liking Fedora SB 38 and Ive moved over to it on many of my mini pcs. Mt Lenovo M600 tinys though dont like Wayland so had to go with Xorg at login. It would be a great OS for the average user but still allows them over time to get more fluent with it and eventually be able to use more of its potential.
Many of the issues I had with it initially have been fixed and being able to upgrade it to 39 with the Gnome software app is really nice.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

It appears the Wayland issue has been fixed as Im no longer having any issues, Large number of updates I received today.
Site Moderator