Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Fedora 38 released

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
wove

Re: Fedora 38 released

Post by wove »

Boy this was the easiest distro version update I have ever done. It took all of 10 minutes. I restarted and I was on Fedora 38. This appears to be a very iterative update. Applications updated to the latest Gnome 44 versions not longer after Gnome updated to 44 so there are no changes there. The Gnome desktop itself has a few very small design changes. Nothing appears to have broken, and the things I work with and work are all there working just as they did. Overall I am not sure what even changed. Perfect upgrade experience. :)
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thats good to hear and this is what most users want, particularly those with less experience with Linux. I havent given Silverblue a close look yet.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Installed SilverBlue on my e6440 but wouldnt work with Edock so ended up doing it outside the Edock and no issues. Install is a bit slow but I liked the fact you can install codecs early onand BTRFS is the default file system which I kept. Dont like the GUI as much as Endless OS but made some changes using the application menu and places menu which makes me think of Gnome 2. Maximize/minimize is a bit clunky as Im not a fan of the super corner either.
App choices were a bit thin and some apps Endless OS had SB didnt have, a bit odd. Overall a nice experience and multimedia tests were fine.
My experience with Fedora over the years has been really mixed but this version I think will suit my needs and the frequency of updates isnt an issue any more. Printers were seen with no issue and no wifi issues. Edock was the only hiccup and given that Endless had no issues and Gnome has always worked with it, I was surprised it was an issue. Its running the 6.2 kernel so bodes well for older hardware.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

My wife uses the dock I picked up for the Pinebook with her T580 and it works just fine. It plugs into the Thunderbolt port. The charger, monitor, keyboard and mouse are plugged into the dock. She just pulls the plug out and poof she is portable. Plug it back in and she is on a desktop. It is good to see the dock in use, because I just found the dock more trouble than it was worth.

I am not sure what you mean by the apps being a bit thin, both Endless and Fedora pull their apps from Flathub, so they both have access to the same software. And both allow you to add other flatpak repositories. Homebrew <brew.sh> works very well on Fedora for adding in system level software on OSTree builds. Just this morning I found myself needing openssl and home-brew allowed me to install it with the command: brew install openssl.

OSTree based distros at first seem very buttoned up compared to more traditional installs, but in the end they are just Linux installs and you can take them any direction you want.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im comparing to Zorin and by default I can access far more apps than I can with either EOS or FSB out of box. I always post from the point of view of a mainstream user or newbie as this is what they will experience when they try these distros for the first time. Edock works fine now but wouldnt allow me to install FSB at all till I removed the laptop. Overall I think Im liking FSB more now that Ive been working with it for a timre.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Liking Silverblue a lot so far and will probably create a few more installs for some of my other systems. Was able to get FreeOffice installed instead of Only Office as I prefer the former. Rseource usage is excellent and cpu usage is not having any issues, something you are careful about with older systems.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just finished my second install and it went very well and testing went fine. OS updates were painless.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Up to four installs and Im about to try the app layering using rpm ostree. Ive shown this distro to a few friends and they find it intriguing and wonder if it would make a good basis for their family pcs in general use.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Very impressed with the Fedora community and the resources they provide on install of SilverBlue. Documentation is excellent, related forums helpful and Fedora Magazine a fun read.
Ive been playing with toolbox and rpm ostree and had a few questions but otherwise a good experience. Its a different way of thinking to what Im use to but being able to make changes and not having to worry about screwups, allows for a good learning experience. On the flip side Id still like to see more apps in Flatpak/Flathub or thru the Fedora Repos as there are some of those on the software center.
Im up tp 4 installs and two of my friends are using it and enjoying it so far. Will be interested to see where it goes down the road but its a much better overall experience than Endless OS or Vanilla OS. Right now the only distros Im running are SilverBlue and Zorin OS Core both using the classic Gnome.

Also noticed that Lenovo offers Fedora with their systems including SilverBlue.
Site Moderator