Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

8 immutable Linux distros for those looking towards the future

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: 8 immutable Linux distros for those looking towards the future

Post by crosscourt »

Endless OS is the only immutable Ive used so far and the experience is mixed. For everyday use its a winner as there is less to worry about and the system remains very stable. On the flip side, you cant clone it to another drive and you cant make many changes at all.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I have had Endless installed now for several years and Fedora SilverBlue has been installed for a couple years. The install it, use it and forget about it aspects are really wonderful. Outside a cloning windows a couple times, I have never tried to clone Linux. Endless and SilverBlue both use the same commands to layer in additional system software components. The first go around at that was definitely new ground for me, but it went fine. Mainly I added virtmanager and a more complete install of qemu, so I could go beyond Gnome Boxes.

When software is layered in, it will always be separate from the immutable OS, yet it also will automatically update. Also on Endless I installed Homebrew, which allows me to install 3rd party software not available via flatpak and like the layered software it also stays up to date. This has not caused me any problems, but if problems arose both layering and Homebrew installs can be quickly and easily reversed or rolled back.

I have thought about unifying my setups, but since both use the same commands to work with the system and neither system really requires much working with I have never bothered to change them. Just for me personally I find the more time and projects I put into a system the more comfortable and confident I am in using it and once I am comfortable with something the less likely I am to change.

I am pretty much all in on immutable OSes. I see the computer as a tool, and like most tools it is useless unless you are doing something with it. SilverBlue and Endless require almost zero effort to function correctly and that is a huge boost in getting the stuff done that you need and/or want todo with the tool.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I havent made the move as Im still using Zorin and MX Linux.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I enjoy watching the videos made by this fellow. Today's video <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHQ8c7QqlbM> covers Vanilla OS specifically and immutable OSes generally.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Hes a bit interesting but good review of Vanilla OS. I like its feature set and design but still not a fan of Gnome. I agree with him as Im not ready just yet to use an immutable OS full time.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im enjoying using Fedora SilverBlue but had a few hardware issues but after tweaking it some I think I prefer it over Endless OS. The GUI in FSB allows you to make a few changes that are more to my likng with an application menu and a places menu reminiscent of Gnome 2. Many apps that I like though arent in the Flathub like Hardinfo and Brasero. Using the BTRFS file system with no issues. Afew issues with wifi speed and the Edock didnt work when first installing but is fine after I installed the OS separately and then rejoined the dock.
Site Moderator