WHat's your Favorite Sci-fi Movie

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
wove

Re: WHat's your Favorite Sci-fi Movie

Post by wove »

Interstellar is a well done movie. It has a solid cast very nice cinematography and a decent story line. Like most Sci-fi the story line is a bit improbable and a bit contrived. It does move along smoothly and has enough depth for good character development. I did buy the movie and have watched it a couple times. I would guess it will hold up pretty well overtime. The movie is more focused on character development than wis-bang special effects, but the effects are quite nicely done.

The movie is fairly long, at times it seems to move too slowly. It is not a pop-corn movie in that it really sort of wants some mental involvement from the viewer. It is a good watch, but you probably want to pick a time to watch when you have the undistracted time to get involved.
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

Sounds alot like the Abyss. I will have to watch it late at night. I did that with Titanic. What a waste of time! I hated that movie. It was all the rage back in 1998. It made me want to puke :x :roll:
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Interstellar is a mixed bag and with so many story line issues and the length of the movie, I didnt find it that enjoyable overall.
Abyss is a far better movie but the two movies are very different from one another.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

Abyss is very different from Interstellar. I did not like Abyss at all. Abyss is a movie I never made it to the end. An hour in and I still could not figure out what the story was, let alone care how it turned out. I do like Ed Harris and Michael Biehn. Ed Harris is a very good and versatile actor. Biehn is a mainstay in Cameron films and always does a respectable job. I have never seen Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio do a good job of acting. Abyss seems to veer into romantic comedy, then veered into disaster film territory, tosses in a touch of survival film, then possible aliens appear and about that time I just turn it off.
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

Interstellar is rated at 8.1 stars out of 10. However, their rating system doesn't match mine. I watched a sudo sci-fi horror movie called Reaper on Tubi. The only reason was it had Christopher Judge, Danny Trejo, and Vinnie Jones in it.... Junk. Don't bother... :x :roll:
wove

Post by wove »

Watching movies tends to be very personal. You generally need to be quiet and not distracted. Theaters have people, but it is quiet and dark. Everyone watching is typically left to their own thoughts. I do not place a lot of value on ratings and there are few reviewers who accurately match my ideals of a good movie. I do tend to just toss on any movie I come across, but many times I turn them off if I do not like them.

I have watched a lot of not good movies, because I like the plot, setting, actors or directors. I like to be surprised by finding something I enjoy even though at my first glance it is not something I expect to enjoy. One thing I do not like is advertising. I can tolerate some ad at the start before the movie begins, but when an as pops up somewhere into the movie, you can just assume I will just turn it off and go do something else.

I do like the longer movie format as opposed to shorter form entertainment. I do find most Star Trek movies to be quite watchable, while the TV episodes strike me as short pointless and boring. That is perhaps too harsh, but they are very formulaic and it seems after you have seen a few, you could set down and finish the script of an episode after seeing the first few minutes. That can differ a lot from person to person though. My son tells me that he is too busy with work and family and hobbies to find time to sit and enjoy a full length movie. However the shorter episode provide a nice short enjoyable diversion in an otherwise cluttered day.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just watched the sequel to The Mysterians, Battle in Outer Space. They changed the plot a bit as this movie was targeted to the US market but its still a great movie. It looks far better than the original Mysterians.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

Speaking of sequels, I never really understood 2001: A Space Odyssey, until I saw the sequel 2010. I actually heard that MGM was planning a 3rd movie, 2061: Odyssey 3. I guess it really never manifested itself.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Saw 2001 in the theaters and my brother and I had already figured out the ending but most people in the theater were completely clueless. 2010 clears many things up and overall was a great movie. Doing 2061 to me would be a waste unless they intend to push the plot farther forward.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Watched the sequel to Battle in Outer Space which in fact reminds of both Atragon and The Mysterians as well. Overall its not very good but very funny to watch with the poor actin, crazy effects and sill music. The bright spot was June who was played by Yuko Asano who was a babe. The movie has a space battleship called Gohten that is a bit similar to Atragon but with better armor,weapons and speed. Definitely worth a single look for laughs.
Site Moderator