WHat's your Favorite Sci-fi Movie

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
crosscourt

Re: WHat's your Favorite Sci-fi Movie

Post by crosscourt »

Considering Andromeda was done off of unused Roddenberry material, are we surprised that Discovery has that kind of feel to it.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

I liked Andromeda somewhat, altho, the stories were somewhat lacking,as well as the special effects. One thing I will give Paramount credit for, is the special effects and sets are over the top,like I mentioned before. I also think the story lines are better, even tho I don't like Alex Kurtzman. One Ultra annoying thing that happens is the volume with the music on that show. If your TV doesn't have a built-in limiter, the difference in high to low ratio volume is dramatic. I find myself riding the volume control on the remote, alot of the time.... Ugh...!!!😠
wove

Post by wove »

The 1984 Dune is on Netflix and I watched it the other night. It has Patrick Stewart, Max von Sydow and Virgina Madsen and it was a delight to see them as younger actors. It also had the Capitan from Das Boot, which I believe is only the second time I have seen him in a movie. I do not think I have ever seen the lead actor (Paul) in any other movie.

I read the Dune trilogy long before the movie came out and have never revisited, so I can not comment on how faithful the movie is to the source material. The special effects were a bit odd and dated, but they were not distracting. There are a huge number of story lines in Dune, which are convoluted and overlapping. The director did a very decent job of weaving them together to create a coherent plot and the story line in the movie was much better paced than it was in the books.

It was an enjoyable watch. As far as I recall I had not seen it before, so it can be fun to watch a movie I missed. I am sure it would have been a much better experience has I seen it on a 40ft screen than on a two and a half foot TV.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The effects for Dune being it was 1984, were very good and there are enhanced versions of the film that look much better. If you can find it, watch the uncut directors version which is really interesting.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

I went and seen Dune in the theater in 84. I thought it was poorly written. Decent special effects. I didn't like Sting in it, since I worked with him in person. What an arrogant assclown...!😠 I finished watching Star Trek Discovery. I like Strange New Worlds better. I'm interested in seeing if they make Star Trek Legacy. That would be awesome..! I watched the second episode of The Walking Dead: Dead City. It was somewhat bloody, but, we'll see how it pans out.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I didnt think the writing was poor in Dune but they had to compromise some to create the movie plot versus the book. Thats always the issue and some say the uncut Directors version is actually more honest to the book. The cast overall I thought was very good and Sting was fine in the movie.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

Found a scary sci-fi movie on HuLu. Sea Fever looks really good,and scary. Saved it,didn't have time to watch it yet. Checkout the trailer on YouTube. 😳
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive been going the nostalgia route rewatching a lot of Gerry Andersons stuff lately, UFO Space:1999, Mysterons and Thunderbirds to name a few.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

Star Trek Strange New Worlds, so far this season, is excellent. The stories are well written, special effects are over the top,and the sets are brilliant. I highly recommend this show.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im not using any streaming services so its tough to watch, but eventually all things will make it onto tv or online.
Site Moderator