WHat's your Favorite Sci-fi Movie

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
crosscourt

Re: WHat's your Favorite Sci-fi Movie

Post by crosscourt »

W@atched an uncut version of the Mysterians last night and it was pretty wild.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

So,
I dived into watching Star Trek Discovery this past weekend. I had seen the first season on regular tv, but it didn't interest me enough to pay for Paramount+. However, seasons 2-4 really ramped up the story line. Although I don't buy any of the Kelvin timeline, they consolidated the story with Canon quite well. The special effects and sets are over the top..!!😁 I haven't completed season 3 yet. I'm binge watching at night, 2-3 episodes at a time. Anson Mount, who plays Captain Christopher Pike, is excellent. Season 2 of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, starts June 15.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im very Star Trek/Star wars burned out and really wish something more unique would happen. A remake of Firefly maybe with the same characters but older and a different back story. A Babylon 5 addon or maybe a prequel but something different and certainly a good new concept show would be great.
Stargate series maybe could finally lets us know what happened to those who were on the big ship and they left us hanging.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I have largely gravitated toward the rather different Sci-Fi. I like Ex Machine, Annilation, Under the Skin sort of movies, the type where you are a often puzzled about what you just watched. As a kid I got all the Sci-Fi magazines and did enjoy the short stories. I loved Frank Herbert short stories, then came his Dune trilogy, which I think another 6 books have now been added to. But I find them boring and rather pointless. He seemed to have started a trend toward the whole world building endless stream of books and movies. I had read the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings trilogy and was just done with that type of fiction.

The original series of StarTrek season one, was all I ever cared for. They have repeated endlessly with new actors. I did like the first Stargate movie, the second was very forgettable and I had no interest in the TV series. I have not seen Babylon 5 or Firefly. Overall I think most Sci-Fi I have seen is just updated cowboy movies from the 50s.

I also like the campy popcorn Sci-Fi, where you yell and throw stuff at the screen. Starship Troopers is a great example of that sort. Giant bugs, green innards, characters getting dismembered, ships blowing up, dialog nothing but platitudes. Oh, what is not to like:)
chris

Re: WHat's your Favorite Sci-fi Movie : Dune books

Post by chris »

I found the Dune prequels very readable - Bryan Herbert - going back to the rise of the machines, overthrow of the machines, backstories for House Atreides, Harkonnen and Corrino. I lost interest in the rest after Children of Dune.
wove

Post by wove »

I really enjoyed Frank Herbert's short stories. They were short - 1/2 to 1 hr read, terse and thought provoking. I bought Dune not longer after it came out. It was a cheap ($1.25) paperback, which dates how long ago that was when. It was so long winded. I had a job and kids and nowhere near enough time to enjoy a long read. I just wondered, "Are you ever going to get to a point?" Maybe I should go back and read again. Oh, and I will if I can find another $1.25 copy. :)

I have little patience for world building serials. I feel like a 5-10 page world build for the intro to a good story is enough. I read the Tarzan books as a kid, and while taken in aggregate one could say they build a solid world, each book told a stand alone story and it did not really make much difference what order you read them.

Just for a hoot, I picked up a couple Star Trek paperback books at a yard sale. I have to say Star Trek novels are really really bad.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Agree with you wove as I also like campy scifi and agree with all your likes about Starship Troopers. I will add the two female leads were really hot.

I still like the original Dune which gets panned a lot today, but when it first came out, it was an amazing film for fans of Dune.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

CC,
Your request has been answered. Babylon 5 is filming or has completed filming a new movie. Check out the details on YouTube. Also, Amazon Prime is producing a new Star Gate series( since acquiring MGM) they now own the rights to all the Star Gate series. The last 2 seasons of Star Trek Discovery is really good. The Federation is pretty much in shambles, and Discovery's crew is trying to restore the old guard. :shock: :twisted:
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just watched the B5 trailer and it looks good but wasnt wild about the style of the animation. Its a shame so many major cast members have died but given its an animated movie the effect will be minimized. It appears JMS was trying to get a new series done on the CW channel but it fell through, but it might still happen through a different source.
Site Moderator
chris

Post by chris »

"The Federation is pretty much in shambles, and Discovery's crew is trying to restore the old guard."
Andromeda?